Password after auto wake up from sleep

Reaction score
Normally I supply a password after the iMac wakes from sleep.

However, when away from the desktop I have the need for the iMac to wake on a schedule.

How do I have the iMac wake on a specific schedule with a password.

Do I need to redo the preferences every time I want to enable auto wakeup using the power saving preference.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Password after auto wake up from sleep

What mac OS X version are you running??

It will mattered more as the "security" stuff is getting tougher with every recent versions.

And a compatible utility or automator script may be required.

Do you have any remote access options to the Mac???

EDIT:
And is the Mac going to be: wake from system sleep mode, or wake from display sleep mode?
If the latter, I don't think there is any setting or builtin option to present a login password to wake from display sleep.

BTW: Is the Mac in sleep mode for some security reason or what???

If not why bother?

If so, a crazy thought — add a power switch timer and set the Mac to "Start up automatically after a power failure".
A bit of a drastic thought I must admit… :D :\

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6,

I have a NAS DRIVE on my network that can be accessed remotely.

Remote access to my Mac when not on my network, not sure how to do that.

Not sure why in Security and Preferences on would require a password, yet uncheck Disable automatic login.

To me very confusing.

Ideas, comments?

Thanks, Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 3.20.51 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To me very confusing.

Man, if you think that's confusing, try wrapping your head around this Apple explanation, and that's just to get the Mac to maybe shutdown!!! Gads!!
To shut down automatically, you Mac must be awake at the time that it's scheduled to shut down, and remain awake for at least 10 minutes past that time. If it's sleeping at the scheduled shutdown time, it continues sleeping instead of shutting down. If it's set to go to sleep after less than 15 minutes of inactivity, it might go back to sleep before it can shut down. To make sure that your Mac shuts down even when sleeping, set it to start up or wake 5 minutes before the scheduled shutdown time.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201988

Maybe some Mac guru will help out here with a useful suggestion or some utility to do what you want.

Automator maybe??? Have you checked it out???

Do I dare ask what the Mac needs to be woken to do as it may not be completely necessary????

Also, I missed if the Mac was in display or computer sleep mode????

And maybe something like this Remote Wake Up.app and put it on it's own schedule to wake the Mac. Maybe.
https://witt-software.com/remotewakeup/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not hard to do, I think. Just set the Mac to wake on network access under the Energy Saver function of System Preferences, as you said. That setting will stay in place until you change it. So, if the need is long term, just set it. If you just need it once, set it, use it, then unset it. Not a lot of hoops to jump through on this on. I have a home automation server iMac that is set this way so that I can control my home from the Internet (password protected, of course, in the remote control app). As for Remote access to the Mac itself, I think that is set up through Sharing. With Wake on Network set, as soon as the remote login is requested, the Mac will wake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not hard to do, I think.

Hey, I like your "I think" part!!!! lmao.gif

AFAIK, "Wake on LAN" is still supported, but I gave up trying to get it to work properly last year when I was trying to do something with our tiny home network.

But the "Wake on WAN" (Old Remote Access as I recall) seemed to work, but I can't recall if there was an option to have it do so on any set schedule which I believe the OP would like.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wake and Remote access are two different things, at least on my system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for a schedule, that’s from the outside, if he wants wake on LAN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.