Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Hey eveyone,

If i run Vista in parallels on my Macbook, would it slow down a lot while running Vista in OSX. I have 1gb Ram Core 2 Duo 1.83.

Also, if i give Parallels 512mb Ram to use for Vista, when parallels is closed, will the 1GB Ram speed go back to full for OSX and will i notice and speed differences.

Thanks.

Reaction score
1GB of RAM is going to be rough trying to run both OSX and Vista simultaneously (which is what Parallels does, essentially).

Parallels only uses the RAM you give it while the guest OS (Vista, in your case) is running. As soon as you shut down Parallels that memory is freed.

Reaction score
Vista is an absolute hog. I have a 2.33 MBP, with 2GB of RAM. Vista recommends running at least 1GB of RAM, and since you can't get any of the hardware acceleration benefits of Vista via Parallels there's really nothing to gain. I'd stick with XP if I had to do it over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
if you are that desperate to run windows i would use xp as it doesnt use as much RAM as vista. - will run in parraleles better as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I third that - go for XP. You might just get away with 768Mb RAM in Parallels if you're not doing too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.