Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There was sometesting/benchmarking a while back done by Cnet. I posted on it a while back.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73607

I was surprised to find that Parallels doesn't ustilize the dual core processing, but VMware does, which is likely why it beats Parallels in almost every way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz iMAC w/ 4GB Ram - 17" 1.67ghz PBook G4 w/ 2GB Ram
im currently running Win XP Pro 64x on Fusion and it has zero lag. I only have 512mb out of 4GB of ram dedicated to it, and it runs super smooth. Im at the point where I keep waiting for it to stall and it never does. And the fact that VMWare is on sale for 59.99 @ Frys + you get a 30.00 rebate from VMWare. So at the end, the total I spent on Fusion is going to be 29.99 + tax. Not too shabby.

BTW: Fusion Unity is awesome!

For users that absolutely have to run Windoze, I think the Bootamp/Fusion combo is hard to beat.

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've been using parallels ever since i made the switch to mac..

I needed windows mainly to sync my Windows Mobile phone to Outlook, install apps, and flash the firmware... but now for school i need to run Solid Works so it does put parallels through its paces.

Lately Solid Works has been hanging on XP through parallels so now, from the input given on this thread, i'm going to install VMWare Fusion and give it a try.

I'll try to report back in a week or so and give my input on both.

Thanks again to all that have commented.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If not too much trouble, have not seen much on the compatability of either Parallels or VMWare Fusion since the release of Leopard. Looks like VMWare now has beta support for DX 9.

I decided to wait for Leopard before purchasing one of them and would be interested in any feedback ya'll may have. Particularly the DX9 support.
Thought some around here might could save me the time of downloading and experimenting with both of them now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white macbook:2ghz, 2gig ram and i have a 30g video ipod
I rarely see someone say that they like parallels better than VMware so, just by the sheer fact that everyone and the brother likes it better go with that. Kinda of a dumb reason i guess but i have read a lot of magazines for linux and mac and they say the sam thing good = VMware

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.