parallels interactions w/mac

Reaction score
I`d like to know if there are any consequences when installing Parallels and WinXP on Mac. I absolutely hate Windows and their structure. I wouldn`t like Windows to interfere with anything on Mac. Is it true that it just creates 1 or 2 big files for Windows?

I like that you can uninstall software on Mac by simply trashing them. There are usually no extra files like on Windows. Can I do the same with Parallels and Windows?

Are there any complications/bugs that people experience after installing Parallels and Windows?

Thank you for the answer. I hope I will never have to install windows on a mac, but I want to know this if it happens that I`ll have to do it for some reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Parallels is essentially virtualization software. What this means is that it runs Windows in its own separate little window within OS X. So it's pretty much like any other app for the Mac.

When you install Windows via Parallels, it's installed in a virtual hard disk. This confirms what you heard, it's just one giant file. So you don't have to worry about Windows spilling over to the OSX file structure (i.e. no Program Files folder pops up in Finder).

Installing and uninstalling programs in Windows is just how you would normally do it. Remember, when using Parallels, you really are using Windows. So it works EXACTLY the same way as any other copy of Windows would.

I personally have been using Parallels since I first got my Mac and it's been a great experience. In fact, the software has only gotten better with time. The best new feature I think is Coherence mode. It pretty much lets you blend Windows into your OSX desktop, so Windows programs look like they're running in OS X rather than in a stand alone window. Once you skin Windows to look like OS X, you will never be able to tell the difference :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.