Parallels Desktop running slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
After I am finished using Parallels Desktop i normally suspend it so i can start it up again from where it left before...

However when I start it up again after suspending it, I cannot click on the start button or do anything with windows XP for a good minute or so.

Does anyone know why this is happening and more importantly how I can fix it?

I've ran the Parallels Desktop Compressor but that did not seem to fix the problem...

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this

Thanks for any suggestions in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You suspend it from within Windows or are you talking about putting the Mac to sleep?

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I mean that i suspend it from mac, I go to actions and then suspend, and then when i start it up again, it doesn't respond for a while (like 1 min or so)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No I mean that i suspend it from mac, I go to actions and then suspend, and then when i start it up again, it doesn't respond for a while (like 1 min or so)

He's talking about hitting the Pause button (or closing the Parallels window) which puts Windows into a hibernate-like state so that you can come right back to where you were in Windows the next time you run Parallels.

To answer your question, that is completely normal. Mine does the same thing. It just takes about 30-45 seconds for Windows to completely recover.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean pause, i mean i go to the menu bar click on actions and choose suspend. I'm not sure if its same as pause though

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't mean pause, i mean i go to the menu bar click on actions and choose suspend. I'm not sure if its same as pause though

Same thing - the Pause button ( || ) puts the machine into Parallels' suspend mode. It does take a little while to wake up, this is not the fault of Parallels as much as it is Windows. A Windows machine will do the same thing when you wake it from suspend mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
When you pause or suspend Parallels and then shut down the app, you'll notice Parallels is spinning in your dock for about 30 seconds whilst it writes the contents of RAM in Windows as well as the page file, to your HDD to recover at a later date.

When restarting, the entire contents of windows has to be reloaded from the HDD back to RAM, which is the delay you experience. This would include any open apps, all running processes, memory that had been cached etc. If you hibernate a real windows machine before powering down, you'll experience the same lag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.