Parallels 10 with Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I have been away from Parallels for over a decade now and decided that it was time to get Windows back since I now have tons of memory and disk storage. The installation went fine if not a little long. And typically Microsoft, there has already been 52 updates to Windows 8.1 since I installed it 5 days ago.

This is my issue. Every time I launch Parallels, it pops open a window which says Firefox is my default browser and wants me to choose the Parallel's browser. I do not want Parallels to be my default. I have searched Parallels, Windows and my iMac to see if I can stop this annoying behavior but I haven't been able to stop it.

Does anyone know how to stop this annoying, in your face dialog box?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand what's going on. Is this happening when you start up the Windows 8.1 virtual machine in Parallels? And did you try to find a solution by asking at the Parallels Community Discussion forum?

OP
JimInSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
I'm not sure I understand what's going on. Is this happening when you start up the Windows 8.1 virtual machine in Parallels? And did you try to find a solution by asking at the Parallels Community Discussion forum?

Yes, every time I launch my Parallels Windows 8.1 virtual machine, a popup window displays telling me that Parallels is not my default browser. I have to be careful because it defaults to changing my preferred choice of Firefox on the Mac to itself. I have checked Parallels preferences, Windows preferences and have searched the Internet. I haven't checked the Parallels forum and I will do that next.

I get angry when a program and its developers annoy me with unwanted pop ups trying to change my preferences. It is invasive but I suppose is typical of the Windows world. Like I said, it's been over 10 years since I ran Parallels and/or Windows. There has to be a way to stop it though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I hear you. Let us know what if anything you find out from the Parallels forum. There's some real sharp folks who know the program in and out who hang out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.