Painting White MacBook?

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking of painting the cover of my white macbook a different colour, probably satin black.

Is it possible for me to paint it, will the paint stick?

I just took of my macstyles skin from the front and I can't believe how much glue residue is left. It's been such a pain in the butt getting it off I just want to paint it now and have it done with.

I've spent the past hour scrubbing the glue off with paper towels drench in rubbing alcohol.

I hope someone can help me get this crap off I hate having my macbook feel this sticky!

Thanks!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Use Nail Polish remover. It'll take that stuff right off. My fiancee had the same problem. Hope this helps!

Trent out

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks man I'll try that when I get home (setting up a network at my parents' office atm).

Hopefully that takes it out because I am still scrubbing away lol. I got just under half of it done (easy to see because I got my hands dirty and rubbed them on the glue to make it visible).

Thanks for the advice again.

I really want to know if the outer case can be painted. Like will the paint stick to the plastic? I'm thinking of painting it satin black, just the top. So it'll be like half white half black :)

Reaction score
I'm sure the paint would stick no problem as long as you prep it first. Also if you sprayed a clear then it would protect the paint and you wouldn't have get any flaking.

I say go for it. I love modding everything I have. :D

LSC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2-2Gb-160Gb
Man, just get some "goo gone" great stuff and won't harm the plastic.

Cheers...

Reaction score
Use Nail Polish remover. It'll take that stuff right off. My fiancee had the same problem. Hope this helps!

Trent out
Make sure the Nail Polish Remover has acetone in it. It's the acetone that actually strips the paint away, and there are a lot of acetone- free nail polish removers these days. I've also read (probably on these forums) that you can dye your MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
I'd like to see it after you paint it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Personally, I wouldn't do this to any machine that I cared about - but if you want to and you're willing to risk your machine to do it, I would completely disassemble it.

Remove all of the components to the point that you are just dealing with the casing. Then, I'd use a deglosser (liquid sander) to etch the plastic - you can pick that up at a Home Depot. This will give the paint something to grab onto. Once you've used the deglosser, use a tack cloth to remove any dust or debris.

Then, hang each piece of plastic so that you can spray all the way around. Use a paint like Krylon Fusion, which is specifically designed for use with plastics.

Keep the spray can at least a foot away from the casing as you quickly pass over the casing, spraying one light coat after another (be sure to do light, quick passes to prevent drips and runs). After you've got a good first coat, allow it to dry completely. Since you want it to be a matte surface, you shouldn't need to sand it. Use a tack cloth once again to remove any dust. Then, do a final coat, again using quick, light passes to avoid dripping and running.

Once finished, allow a good 24 hours for it to completely cure and reassemble the machine.

Reaction score
If you disassemble a macbook/macbook pro to paint it will it still be under warranty/apple care? I was thinking about painting my MBP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you disassemble a macbook/macbook pro to paint it will it still be under warranty/apple care? I was thinking about painting my MBP.

No, this would absolutely violate your warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.