Pages won't open and other glitches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Proc
Just yesterday, these odd things have started to happen. The oddest is my scanner. It scans a document, then won't let me save it to any app. Tells me I don't have permissions, then to fix, asks me to reset my MAIN password. I've never had scanner problems before, just used the day before. This morning, spinning beachbaall upon opening from shut down. Simple sites, such as Google won't open, spinning beside tab, I'm lucky this page even opened. The other searches I've tried to do are still not opening pages, but still spinning. I run version 10.6.8 This is my first time posting on Mac Forum, it's always helped in the past.
I have screenshots of the problem but image is too large and I'm not sure how to reduce size.
After submitting this post, I got the message. "« Safari blocked with malware warning | - »" Should I switch to another browser? Sometimes using Firefox solves unusual issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just yesterday, these odd things have started to happen. The oddest is my scanner. It scans a document, then won't let me save it to any app. Tells me I don't have permissions, then to fix, asks me to reset my MAIN password. I've never had scanner problems before, just used the day before. This morning, spinning beachbaall upon opening from shut down. Simple sites, such as Google won't open, spinning beside tab, I'm lucky this page even opened. The other searches I've tried to do are still not opening pages, but still spinning. I run version 10.6.8 This is my first time posting on Mac Forum, it's always helped in the past.
I have screenshots of the problem but image is too large and I'm not sure how to reduce size.
After submitting this post, I got the message. "« Safari blocked with malware warning | - »" Should I switch to another browser? Sometimes using Firefox solves unusual issues.

Okay, sounds like a mess if all your issues are all of a sudden. One thing just FYI - the <<Safari blocked with malware warning >> if it was at the bottom of the page while you where on the mac-forum that was not a warning for you but the next post area on the forum - so don't panic over that.

Now for the other issues. I will wait before advising because I am not familiar with 10.6.8 but there are many here who are.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to do is boot your MacBook Pro with your Snow Leopard DVD and use Disk Utility from the disk to verify and if necessary repair your hard drive. Some of the symptoms you described could be attributed to hard drive problems. Let us know the results of that and we can try to go from there.

OP
luvinlex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Proc
Lisa, Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll search the forum the best I can to find people familiar with my 10.6.8 version, or maybe I'll get some additional responses. Appreciate it! Linda

OP
luvinlex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my glitches

Any though this took all day... checking permissions. ( doing a full back up in case this was going to get ugly ) I'd never seen so many non-opening and spinning mailboxes/ webpages ever! Finally, I simply called the support tech at my ISP. He asked me how close my router was to any other electrical devices (?) and sent me to a page where he can see my screen. Since the webpage wouldn't open, he suggested most of the things I'd already done. Restart, empty cache, switch browsers, etc... Then, somehow, he did something ( on his end ) to reset my connection and all things have worked fine since then. So, the issue was with my wifi connection and other devices "not speaking to each other". I should have been smart and called them in the first place. Still, I did post my first issue in the forum, and hope to be an active member and learn a lot.

Reaction score

that's strange. Maybe because Nov is fast approaching. hihihi. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.