OWC SSD UPGRADE "BEWARE!!!" INFERIOR SCREEN ADHESIVE TAPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidImacTN

Reaction score
Hello,
I purposely joined this group to possibly forewarn anyone upgrading their Imac with any OWC kit that has the OWC supplied screen adhesive tape included. I recently did a SSD upgrade from OWC and the install went fine, at first no problems. I did have reservations of removing the original adhesive tape at the bottom edge of my 5K 27" Imac screen so I purposely did not remove it. My reservations were because while tilting the screen to gain interior access to the orginal adhesive tape the bottom edge of the screen glass was making contact with the ledge of the body where the bottom of the screen rests. I felt I was taking a chance as with the screen being pivoting on the aluminum Imac body could potentially chip or break the screen glass being against the bottom ridge of the Imac body. The screen was very well secured to the body at the bottom edge with the original tape. BTW, looking closely, the downward weight of the Imac screen actually rests on the body ridge at the bottom of the screen. The adhesive tape there is not relevant to holding any weight of the screen (more on this later). When installing the OWC supplied adhesive tape I noticed the adhesive tape was very different than the original Apple Imac tape I had removed from the screen and body, the supplied tape being somewhat thinner and of a different composition.
After installing the SSD and wiring, I carefully laid the Imac on it's back, propped up the screen enough to remove the original adhesive tape and then cleaned the tape mounting surfaces with 92% alcohol. BTW, I am very experienced in electronic repairs for many years. I then proceeded to lay the screen down to adhere to the OWC supplied adhesive tape to the body. I then carefully with my hands applied pressure on the screen and body around the perimeter of the screen, I did this carefully and several times over. Afterwards I stood the Imac on it's stand and inspected on how well the screen was attached to the body. At that time it was obvious the screen appeared completely and firmly attached.
I then placed the Imac on my desk, checked out the SSD operation and everything was fine, I was very pleased on how the install went.
Eight days later I opened the door to my office to find the screen of my Imac out of the body and lying in the floor with one corner completely broken and demolished. I honestly could not believe my eyes! Upon looking at what happened it was very apparent the screen became loose from the body at the top and sides and with the screen pivoting forward landing on it's top edge with the rear of the screen exposed. When the screen fell out of the body one corner hit the chair at my desk and completely demolished the corner of the screen.
I then contacted OWC. They requested photos, of the body, screen, tape, etc. I also sent them an explanation of how I did the install without the bottom screen tape being replaced and why. They later contacted me and said because of not replacing the bottom tape they were not responsible for the mishap. I then asked if they could provide any financial assistance with the cost of a replacement screen which I wasn't, I was quoted a replacement screen at a retail price or me sending my Imac to them for retail repairs with no assistance.
With everything that had happened I then completely removed the obviously inferior OWC tape and recreated what had happened. What I learned was without ANY adhesive tape on the screen or body the Imac screen can be placed on the body perfectly with the bottom of the screen resting on the ridge of the body. This is how the downward screen weight is dealt with. With this configuration if the Imac screen/body is pivoted to a position where the center of gravity of the screen is not balanced (top area being slightly closer to the operator) the screen will fall forward with the bottom of the screen not coming loose at first but pivoting on the ledge of the Imac body. I tried this several times and had the same results. I then contacted OWC and asked IF they repaired my Imac what screen adhesive tape would they be using, the reply was it would be the same they sent with the SSD kit.
The point I'm making is the OWC adhesive tape failed to hold the screen. Evidently as the pull on the tape from the screen slightly forward weight a small starting amount of tape would loose contact over time and the screen would eventually come completely loose from the top and sides and then fall forward from the top. This is not acceptable as I'm now at a $500 repair on a late 2015 5K 27" Imac.
I trusted OWC and bought product(s) from them. They offered no assistance with something I can prove which their product is inferior which caused the damage of $500. I have researched and read where this has happened to others using the OWC adhesive tape. One was where OWC repaired an Imac and the screen later fell out again. In this situation if the screen fell out after the OWC repair warranty period again, I'm assuming the owner would be responsible for repairs because of the inferior OWC tape being out of their implied warranty period.
I have not heard of any Imac screen falling out that had never been apart manufactured with the original Apple screen adhesive tape. If someone knows of this please chime in. The Apple adhesive tape used with the manufacture of Imacs is designed to last the life of the computer. Also the broken glass on a floor caused by the OWC tape failure is a hazard as I ended up with hundreds of glass splinters.
I feel I can honestly make the statement "When using the OWC supplied adhesive screen tape it's not IF the screen will fall out but WHEN"

I genuinely wish I can forewarn anyone of how they will eventually encounter this situation when using the OWC adhesive screen tape.
I didn't mean to write a book, I just want to be explicit as possible with my experience. Hopefully from what I've written here might keep someone from having the same dreadful experience.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Sorry for your experience. I'll leave this post as a warning for folks to read, but will lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.