Over current??

Reaction score
So I have a powered usb belkin hub plugged into my macbook.
Attached to the hub I have a mac keyboard (aluminum), external hard drive, cord for my ipod, and a cord used to power my chill mat.

Every time I boot up, an overcurrent warning appears. It says it will shut down the attached hub. However, my hub still works fine.

Does anyone know why this comes up?
and what is over current?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It means you're trying to draw too much power from the USB port. Either get a powered hub (or more powered hubs) or unplug some of thosee devices before you damage something.

"Current" is an electrical term meaning the amount of electrical charge that moves across a conductor in a given amount of time.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
ok now my non-powered hub which used to work says the same thing.

I even went to using the minimal stuff on it... just a keyboard and mouse.... what the heck is wrong with it.....

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
alright, the usb port furthest away from the firewire port seems to have stopped working. Perhaps that is what has done it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
probably not.. you probably broke it by putting too much current through the port..

you must purchase POWERED hub, which means the hub itself gets plugged into a wall outlet, and the computer not just the computer, otherwise you'll cause more damage to the rest of your computer.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
the problems started with a powered belkin usb hub.
Before the non-powered one worked fine.

I have to go to the apple store now to get it fixed, i am glad I have apple care.
I'll buy a usb port from the apple store the day i pick my mac back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.