Outlook dumped everything after identity rebuild - HELP!

Reaction score
I will try not to hyperventilate - I've seen this has happened to others and the list of everything I would have to do to restore all my folders and emails sends my A.D.D. into overdrive! I can't even think of where my original copies of office are, and no I don't have a back up - Can someone PLEASE PLEASE assist me - even if we have to use join.me I'm so overwhelmed right now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look in both of these places to see if Outlook placed the data in a recovery file:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Documents/Microsoft User Data/

(You may have to unhide your user library in the first location.) In Finder press "Go" from the top menu and then on down to "Go to folder" and enter "Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/"

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
Feel so stupid...

thank you for your quick reply :) I have no idea on how to unhide a folder. here's what I see

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 9.00.31 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read this part of my reply?

(You may have to unhide your user library in the first location.) In Finder press "Go" from the top menu and then on down to "Go to folder" and enter "Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/"

OP
G
Reaction score
Yes I did...that is why I showed you the previous pic.... I couldn't get to that page

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 10.17.37 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's try this instead:

Open your terminal application. Applications, Utilities, terminal.app

When the terminal opens copy and paste the following in the terminal and then press return.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Then press exit to get out of the terminal. Now your user library will be visible and you can search for your lost information per my previous reply.

OP
G
Reaction score
Good morning :)
I was able to unhide the library.
I did find the the Microsoft User Data in the Documents...and I figured you wanted the identies...so here they are

Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 6.59.09 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next question... were you able to retrieve any of your lost folders and emails from the old backups? Let me know. If you didn't have any success there, I'm going to send you over to the Microsoft Mac Outlook forum on their server.

OP
G
Reaction score
No I have nothing on my outlook...I tried applying these identities a few times over which still makes my outlook look like I just installed it...there is nothing at all there :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope your data hasn't been lost. I was sure that when Outlook rebuilt the identity that it also preserved the folders and messages. We might not be looking in the right place. Anyway, why don't you ask the MS experts in their user forum.

Here is the direct LINK to the user forum. Let me know how it went.

OP
G
Reaction score
so a little update....I also use geekstogo.com great resource as well from when I had a PC.... received a reply with this link in it Your Office Identity so I went through all my identities until I found one that had a messages folder in it....renamed it to OCTOBER2014...set it as the default - did NOT hit rebuild....opened up Outlook and EVERYTHING WAS THERE!! WOHOOO!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back the good news. Outlook has been a real pain for most Mac users mainly because it's a version one app for the Mac. As you know the previous app was Entourage which worked well. I'm waiting for the update to Mac Office 2011 (Office 2014) before I mess with Outlook again. Too many headaches with the current version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.