Outlook.com has eaten certain emails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Over the last few days I have had an email conversation with a company and was awaiting their reply to a query. Looking in my sent folder to find my previous emails to the company I found that they have completely disappeared, as have emails received from them. I've never seen this before no other emails appear to have been affected. I do not have any rules set up and have not deleted these but I've tried restoring deleted messages. Any ideas as to how this could have happened and whether I get them back?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Sawday

I don't know why this happened; but I do know the method for retrieving emails from Time Machine. It is not the same way as you recover lost files.

I don't want to insult your intelligence by describing the method if you are already conversant with it.

But if you have Time Machine and want any help, just ask.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never seen this before no other emails appear to have been affected. I do not have any rules set up and have not deleted these but I've tried restoring deleted messages. Any ideas as to how this could have happened and whether I get them back?

You mentioned Outlook.com. Is your mail setup as IMAP? With IMAP, anything that occurs on the server is going to affect your end. And as Ian has mentioned, restoring mail with Time Machine is not the same as restoring ordinary files and folders.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Sorry I didn't make it clear regarding the restoring of deleted emails. I wasn't referring to Time Machine but the option that Microsoft Outlook has an one of it's options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
How are you accessing the Outlook.com site? Web browser? Client? If client, what method (IMAP, POP)?

If you're accessing the site with a web browser or an IMAP client, nothing should be lost or moved that you didn't do on purpose. If you, AT ANY TIME, access the site with a POP client or have some third-party tool periodically checking in to your account, any messages that are downloaded with that client may very well be configured to be removed from the server. Going back in later with a different client would show that they are not present.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Outlook.com accessed through Firefox browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.