OSX updates and MS Office problems/CarbonLib

Reaction score
I have a 13inch Macbook. In the past I have been able to update my machine no problem and have ran MS office again with no problems. However last week I get the message saying some stuff needs updates, so I clicked ok. It makes me put my password in and goes to download them. Then when it trys to install them, there is a message that pops up "all (fill in number) updates could not be installed blah blah blah... Sorry, an unexpected error occurred." The updates are iTunes, Quicktime, OSX update, and iPhoto.

Next problem I have encontured is when I try to open up MS word or Excel, I get an error box that says

The application "Excel" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "<Microsoft Excel><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_FindByContent><>"

From what I have read, CarbonLib is something from Pre OSX macs.

For the MS issue, I tried deleteing and reinstalling the program only to result in the same error box.

These two problems happened about the same time so they might be related, I am not sure. If you guys could give me some insight, I would appresiate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Before reinstalling office be sure to delete the office folder in the applications folder.

OP
A
Reaction score
alright fooling around, I found the console. here are the errors I get.

When I try and open word or excel I get the following error

Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word: launch failed with error code -2804 (cfragNoLibraryErr) for application -psn_0_28311553\n

and for excel

/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Excel: launch failed with error code -2804 (cfragNoLibraryErr) for application -psn_0_28704769\n

When I try to install any of the updates, I don't get any errors in anything unless I look at the Installer Logs. If I do that (showing errors and progress) I get the following

Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : User picked Easy Install
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : Choices selected for installation:
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : Upgrade: "iTunes"
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : Upgrade: "iTunes"
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : ================================================================================
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : Preparing volume "Macintosh HD" for installation
Mar 22 13:05:42 computer : Configuring volume "Macintosh HD"
Mar 22 13:05:43 computer : Preparing local booted disk
Mar 22 13:05:43 computer : Create temporary directory "/private/tmp/iTunesX.pkg.27869PzqJ3c"
Mar 22 13:05:44 computer : run preflight script for iTunes
Mar 22 13:05:44 computer : Install failed: The following install step failed: run preflight script for iTunes
Mar 22 13:05:44 computer : Private/Total = (4.8MB, 63.9MB), Heap/Total = (2.1MB, 17.5MB), Regions(malloc, private) = (28, 29)
Mar 22 13:05:44 computer : It took 1.020505 seconds to unsuccessfully install "iTunes" (1 pkg(s))
Mar 22 13:05:44 computer : It took 1.004831 seconds to Configuring volume "Macintosh HD" (dm prepare*disk)

OP
A
Reaction score
my update, I called apple up and they had me reinstall macOSX with the archeive function so I didn't loose any files. Fixed both issues.

M

MacHeadCase

Welocme to Mac-Forums, asmallsol!

Glad it got fixed and that it's up and running well again.

And a big thank you in letting us know how the problem got solved. I'm sure this info will come in very handy for anyone having the same problem as you do! :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.