OSX Mavericks

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Mavericks my computer has been taking longer and longer to run the OSX when the computer is turned on. It feels like it is getting stuck on the load page and I just get the grey screen with the apple for minutes before it loads. Is anyone else having this issue? It didn't start until I upgraded. Any suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- How full is your hard drive (gigs used & gigs free)?
- How long has it been since you rebooted the computer?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I have 500Gb capacity. Wow only 7Gb left. Thats interesting because I keep everything on other volumes. I can't find what is taking up all the space?

I just restarted the computer today. I restart it every day.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 500Gb capacity. Wow only 7Gb left.

As I expected. The slowdown has nothing to do with the upgrade to Mavericks (although lots of folks LOVE to blame it on a Mavericks upgrade)!;)

The problem is your hard drive is too full. Only 7gig free out of 500gig is 98+% full. For best performance…we generally recommend not letting the hard drive get more than about 80% full.

If you were to let your HD get 100% full…your computer will "lock-up" and you won't be able to do anything. You need to free up some space!

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info! I can't seem to find where all the space is going. Is there any way to pinpoint what is taking up all the space?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be:

- A lot of installed apps.
- Photos
- Videos
- Hopefully you are not having Time Machine write backups to your internal HD.

You are the best person to know what's installed/saved on your computer. I can only guess.:) But believe me…free up a bunch of storage space…and that will help a lot. But to get close to at least 80% full…you're going to need to delete or "off-load" about 100gigs of "stuff".

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disk Inventory X will help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When adding up areas of your user folder don't forget your user library, by default it's hidden. Click on finders go, then command and the library will appear. Commonly forgotten are iPhone backups, I see multiple backups often taking up 50 - 60 GB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you know if there is a way to move your photos to another volume while keeping them linked to their appropriate folders inside iPhote?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you by chance have time machine turned ON and your Backup drive turned off or unplugged? If so backup files will fill your main hard drive till you plug in the backup drive and let Time Machine do it's thing.

Harry above mentioned DiskinventoryX. That will show you what is taking all the space. You might want to give that a try and check for backup files.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I currently have a 3tb external hooked up and have Time Machine writing to it. I gone through my Library and cleared various caches and things that may be slowing start-up time down.

When I went through library I found two things. One, my photo's are taking up A LOT of space. How can I move them to an external drive without messing up my current iPhoto images and albums? Two, I have all my music I brought over from cd linking via a separate volume but everything I have bought from iTunes is still going to my Music folder. How can I move that, change where it is pointing so future purchases don't go there and make sure I don't lose my linkage to the current music in iTunes.

sorry I know that last paragraph is ALOT.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a pretty simple way to move the iTunes content. You'll need to make sure that the external drive with your music is connected when iTunes is launched.

If you forget to connect and power the external drive simply quit iTunes, connect and power the drive, then relaunch.

C

chas_m

It's very easy to move an iPhoto (or iTunes) Library to an external drive:

1. Copy the entire Library folder or package to the external drive.
2. Open iTunes or iPhoto holding the option key and point it to the new location of the library

That's basically it. Once you are sure that it is reading from the external drive for the library, you can delete the one(s) on your boot drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.