OSX Install

Reaction score
I have a broken HDD and have ordered a new one. I need to install the operating system but I have no disks and don't know which one I need to install or how to find and install it.

I think the model number of my macbook is 2.0/2X512/80/SD-DL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think the model number of my macbook is 2.0/2X512/80/SD-DL

Sorry...that's not a model number...that's a system configuration:

- 2.0 = 2.0ghz cpu
- 2x512 = ram installed
- 80 = 80gig hard drive
- SD-DL = Super Drive Dual-Layer

But this is an older MacBook...and what you're going to need for starters is a Snow Leopard install disk (OS 10.6). You can purchase one from the Apple online Store. Here is the link for the United States Apple Store (if you are from the US):

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

If you're from a different country...try the Apple Store nearest to your country (or in your country).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
apple stores should have your OSx for free, just set up an appointment, bring in the mac and you should be set.
unless this is an inconvenience, try using someones OSx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would purchase a legitimate version of the OS and not use someone else his/her version.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
apple stores should have your OSx for free, just set up an appointment, bring in the mac and you should be set.

You are partially right.:) Someone else posted last week that they contacted a local Apple store…and Apple did this for them. But…the Mac-Forums member also purchased a Snow Leopard install disk online…and they mentioned showing their Snow Leopard purchase receipt before doing the install at the Apple Store.

It wasn't 100% clear if this Snow Leopard purchase receipt was an absolute requirement to do the install in the store. I'm thinking that there is a strong chance it was…since a lot of other folks are paying $19.99 for it. But then again…sometimes Apple does things that are "above & beyond".:)

unless this is an inconvenience, try using someones OSx

We usually don't encourage this sort of thing. In fact, we usually discourage the "sharing" OS install disks. Technically…the rule is one install per individual user install disk. There were the "Family Pack" install disks that allowed 5 installs per disk. And then there was the "family rule" that only family members under the same roof…could use the same install disk.

Mavericks is free…but Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7), and Mountain Lion (10.8) are still OS's that are supposed to be paid-for…so no sharing among friends.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Unless you are a pirate of course.

Don't know if Mavericks will even install as we don't know model. 1GB of memory is just too little and an 80GB hard drive is too small. So it appears your Mac may well be aging.

The last iMac to come with the 80GB drive was a 2006 model which will not run anything newer than Lion OS X.7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.