OSX and External HDs

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an external HD connected to my iMac via USB. I find it doesn't power down any more when the Mac sleeps. I have tried logging out and closing background apps but that makes no difference.
I have set in preferences "Put Hard Drives to sleep when possible" but that also makes no difference. (And Power Nap is not enabled)
Does anyone have any further suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From your post above, I gather that the hard drive at one time did power down or "sleep" when your Mac sleeps? Have you recently updated macOS? Anyway, try resetting the SMC on your Mac to see if that helps. Also, you need to consider that the not going to sleep problem may be with the hard drive itself. If you have another external hard drive to test with, that would help isolate this.

Reaction score
*Is it bus powered or does it have a separate power supply? And are you properly ejecting the drive before powering off your Mac?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, brownrebecca164. Glad to have you along.

Thank your post. May there be many more:)

EHDs don't need to be ejected when an iMac is put into sleep mode nor if the iMac needs to be rebooted or even shut down for a short time.

All my EHDs (Time Machine backups x 2 and 2 cloned backups, making 4 EHDs in all), remain mounted and untouched through sleep cycles, rebooting etc. The iMac's software takes care of all that.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My guess is not ejecting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.