OS X Yosemite Beta - Poor WiFi Performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacBook Air 13" on Yosemite - iPhone 6 - Apple TV
Since installing Yosemite on my mid-2013 MacBook Air my WiFi performance has been lackluster to say the least. I can run a test on my iPhone right next to my MacBook and get 47Mbps downlink then run the same test on the MacBook and get a varied result from 1Mbps up to as high as 32Mbps, although it's normally in the 8-9Mbps range. Also, when restarting it sometimes shows my network SSID twice and sometimes can't find it at all for a couple of minutes.

I reported it to Apple using Feedback Assistant, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I updated to Beta 6 this morning hoping to find it improved but was disappointed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Beta software, likely to have issues that will be addressed before release.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand, but I'd like to know if anyone else is having this issue on Yosemite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In one word - no!

C

chas_m

Seconded. Not seeing that here at all.

You're never going to get a response from Apple, btw. Feedback assistant is a one-way channel.

You need to do some tests to determine what the problem actually is. Step one would be to take the machine to a public wi-fi spot like a coffee shop and test it there. Step two would be to set up a separate account and test it there. Step three would be to revert back to Mavericks and test it there, etc.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I figured I didn't have a signal strength issue being that my iPhone got such great performance not two feet away from my MacBook, but I was wrong. I got a WiFi extender and I'm running the home WiFi on 2.4GHz with the extender on 5GHz to my MacBook. I'm getting speeds of 28Mbps now, which is acceptable, but disappointing as my MacBook is the greatest user of our home internet.

Now I've got to figure out why the internet drops out and comes back after shutting down and restarting the WiFi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.