OS X El Capitan upgrade

Reaction score
Hi There, I'm having issues updating my mac OS X El Capitan to OS Sierra or more recent ones. Once I download the OS Sierra or Mojave it keep saying: this update requires mac OS version 10.12.

Attachments

• crop.png
    crop.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 26

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome and thank you for your post.

Just for further clarification:

Where are you downloading macOS Sierra and macOS Mojave from? This is important.

(I noticed you missed out macOS High Sierra which comes between the other two).

And also: what year and Model of Mac have you got because it may be that El Capitan is as far as you can go.

Shower us with details please. It makes life easier and the solution comes sooner.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
From the image you posted, it looks like you only downloaded an upgrade to macOS Sierra.

See this Apple Support document for links to older versions of macOS available in the macOS App Store.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
it looks like you only downloaded an upgrade to macOS Sierra.

My thought too, Bob. That's why I asked where the downloads came from. Your referenced article is excellent.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Welcome and thank you for your post.

Just for further clarification:

Where are you downloading macOS Sierra and macOS Mojave from? This is important.

(I noticed you missed out macOS High Sierra which comes between the other two).

And also: what year and Model of Mac have you got because it may be that El Capitan is as far as you can go.

Shower us with details please. It makes life easier and the solution comes sooner.

Ian

Attachments

• crop.png
    crop.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 23

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for posting back. We can see your current OS is El Capitan. That's fine. I asked you where you were attempting to download macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave from.

As member ferrarr pointed out, you have to download the full installer for whichever OS you want and he gave you the link to the site where you can do this. That site gives you a choice of Operating Systems. You choose which you want.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
From the image you posted, it looks like you only downloaded an upgrade to macOS Sierra.

See this Apple Support document for links to older versions of macOS available in the macOS App Store.

Thank you ?
All sorted now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.