OS X DAILY : Run ChromeOS on Older Macs and PCs with CloudReady

Reaction score
Can't find how to contact OS X Daily about this. My Presario SR 1115CL has requirements but has a dial-up modem. I'm sure it won't install ChromeOS. Am I right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Is there no way you can connect the Presario to broadband via ethernet? (Sorry if that sounds a stupid question: I guess if you had access to broadband, you'd be using it!)

To be honest, regardless of what browser or OS you might use, I'd be really surprised that any machine connected via a dial-up modem would be able to successfully navigate the modern web. You'd be sat there for ages waiting for even basic graphical stuff to load.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Download the image on another computer that's ethernet connected; make the installer on a USB stick on that computer; then unplug the USB stick and plug it into the Presario and install away.

OP
F
Reaction score
Great and I'm ready to install away and it's on a computer with Windows XP. My question is must the computer already be connected to internet or will ChromeOS look after that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Great and I'm ready to install away and it's on a computer with Windows XP. My question is must the computer already be connected to internet or will ChromeOS look after that?

Well that's a good question. It's possible that partway through the install process, the installer may want to go online to download components specific to your computer.

OP
F
Reaction score
I need to resolve dwmapi.dll was not found problem first. picture attached

Attachments

• dwmapi.dll was not found.JPG
    dwmapi.dll was not found.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 13

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular *.dll file needs to already exist before the install will complete.

Try this:

OP
F
Reaction score
I will use recuva or will download dwmapi.dll from Microsoft. Thanks for advice. I need to setup my internet connection in the computer and hope you can assist. Attached are screenshots of the Control Panel. I'm not sure what to do in there.

Attachments

• SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT.JPG
    SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 9
  • SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT1.JPG
    SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT1.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 8
  • SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT2.JPG
    SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT2.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT3.JPG
    SEND TO WINDOWS SUPPORT3.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 8

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might want to seek out help in a Windows/ChromeOS forum as opposed to here to get the best advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.