OS Updating problems

Reaction score
Hi all
I am new to here and macs
The problems stated when I downloaded
Luminar 3 photo editing software from there site
I made the Mac run slow showing spinning beach ball never did show before install
I uninstalled luminar 3 with there uninstaller
But still ran slow
So I did a os Catalina update still running slow
So I decided to erase the drive and reinstall the OS
Through disk utilities
Now the problem is the the screen seems to have frozen been installing a good 20 hours
At one point it said can’t install because it can’t find os
What should I do
If i got a snow leopard install disk off eBay would the disk drive work in this state
I got the Mac second hand and it worked perfectly the said luminar 3 download
I have also seen bootable usb stick with Catalina on
Would this work
My MacBook Pro is see photos

Neil

Attachments

• 9FDBC77A-A116-4566-BC8B-806671E066CC.jpeg
    9FDBC77A-A116-4566-BC8B-806671E066CC.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 04C46A89-CFA5-44D3-8BAF-EB2F8357A189.jpeg
    04C46A89-CFA5-44D3-8BAF-EB2F8357A189.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
It's not unusual for one's Macintosh to run on the slow side for a few days after doing a major upgrade of the OS. Spotlight will be re-indexing the hard drive in the background, and lots of stuff that you normally do will be cached, which will eventually speed things up.

Also, if your Macintosh has an internal rotating disk hard drive (rather than an SSD), and you upgraded from Snow Leopard to Catalina, Catalina non-optionally reformats your internal hard drive from HFS+ to APFS. APFS is optimized for SSD's, not RDHD's. It will cause a noticeable slowdown.

OP
neil.gtis
Reaction score
It's not unusual for one's Macintosh to run on the slow side for a few days after doing a major upgrade of the OS. Spotlight will be re-indexing the hard drive in the background, and lots of stuff that you normally do will be cached, which will eventually speed things up.

Also, if your Macintosh has an internal rotating disk hard drive (rather than an SSD), and you upgraded from Snow Leopard to Catalina, Catalina non-optionally reformats your internal hard drive from HFS+ to APFS. APFS is optimized for SSD's, not RDHD's. It will cause a noticeable slowdown.

forget to say it’s got 16gb and a ssd
So are you saying I can’t go from snow leopard
To Catalina
Neil

OP
neil.gtis
Reaction score
forget to say it’s got 16gb and a ssd
So are you saying I can’t go from snow leopard
To Catalina
Neil

hi hopefully all sorted must learn to be patient
Just had to wait while it sorted it self out
Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.