OS Update

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all, I want to say that english is not my primary language, thanks for your patience.

I have a MacBook with the OS "Mac OS X 10.5.8". I've got the installation DVD with my MacBook which says "Mac OS X Snow Leopard". I need to upgrade because I want to install Firefox and it doesn't work with my old version of the OS.

So, I went to this page:
Apple - OS*X Yosemite - How to Upgrade

It says:

Upgrading from OS X Snow Leopard
If you’re running Snow Leopard (10.6.x), update to the latest version of Snow Leopard before you download OS X Yosemite from the Mac App Store. Click the Apple icon and choose Software Update to install OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8, the latest version.

Upgrading from OS X Leopard
If you’re running Leopard and would like to upgrade to OS X Yosemite, first you’ll need to upgrade to OS X Snow Leopard. You can purchase OS X Snow Leopard here.

If I open "software update", it says that my software is up to date. If I want to upgrade from OS X Leopard, I need to purchase OS X Snow Leopard. But I already have it, only a previous version of Snow Leopard (10.6.x).

From now on, I really don't know what to do to upgrade my OS. Can you help me ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Marie-Eve

What model MacBook do you have? Press the apple icon on the top menu bar and then press about this mac.

What model is it and what OS are you running (10.5 or 10.6)?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi nickyr,

Here is the info I got:

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
Processor 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
OK so you are running Leopard.

Where did you get the Snow Leopard disc from? You say its the disc that came with your MacBook but that can't be the case as it's running Leopard.

Also, go into about this mac again and find out what model your MacBook is. It'll say something like mid 2007.

OP
M
Reaction score
I got the Snow Leopard DVD when I've purchase the MacBook. But the problem I have with it: it's broken ! :Not-Amused:

I'm not sure how to find the model. I see this in "More info":
Model identifier: MacBook5,2

So, do I have to purchase Snow Leopard, then I'll be able to upgrade it ?

Thanks a lot for your help ! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, one more question. Is the Snow Leopard disc grey, or is it white with a picture of a Snow Leopard on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

So when you insert the disc in your macbook, what happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you mean physically broken then.

If that's the case, and you are able to play or read other discs in your MacBook, then yes you will need to purchase a new Snow Leopard disc.

This will then give you access to the App Store where you can upgrade your OS.

Before you do that you'll need to make sure that your MacBook can operate the OS you want to upgrade to.

The hardware requirements for Yosemite are:

How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac

Hope this helps and good luck :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Is it possible to download the content of the disk ? I have the "serial number" on the disk's cover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Not to makes things more complicated, but my machine has 4 gig of ram and I was told that was a minimum configuration to run even Mavericks. Will his machine even RUN Yosemite with only 2 gig of ram? I mention this only because I had some issues upgrading to Yosemite and I'd hate for anyone to jump through those hoops only to have the unit crap out or NEARLY as frustrating, slowing to a crawl. UN-upgrading creates a whole new set of issues.

ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I'm aware Snow Leopard is not available as a download. Only OS from Lion onwards could be obtained via download.

You could contact Apple and see if they will replace the broken disc. Otherwise buying a new one is your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to makes things more complicated, but my machine has 4 gig of ram and I was told that was a minimum configuration to run even Mavericks. Will his machine even RUN Yosemite with only 2 gig of ram? I mention this only because I had some issues upgrading to Yosemite and I'd hate for anyone to jump through those hoops only to have the unit crap out or NEARLY as frustrating, slowing to a crawl. UN-upgrading creates a whole new set of issues.

ken

I'd agree that 4GB would be better, but Apple do state it will run on 2GB

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll contact Apple to know if they can replace my disk. If not, i'll purchase it, again ! ;)

Yes, I meant physically broken ! Haha :)

Thanks a lot for your help !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
My apologies. I mistakely assumed the upgrade was to Yosemite. I'll shut up now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'll contact Apple to know if they can replace my disk. If not, i'll purchase it, again ! ;)

Yes, I meant physically broken ! Haha :)

Hi Marie-Eve - now, you've already received some great advice, but just to further clarify, your laptop appears to be a mid-2009 model w/ just 2 GB of RAM, as already stated (information HERE) - according to this site the machine can be upgraded certainly to 4 GB (and possibly 6 GB) - see comments in the attachment.

Now if you just need to go to Snow Leopard (OS X 6.x), then your RAM should be fine as is, although jumping up to 4 GB would help - but not sure 'how much' further up the OS X ladder you can move; SO, please let us know which OS X you are ultimately striving for on this aging computer and whether you might want advice on upgrading RAM - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 1.57.52 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.