OS Sierra System Suddenly Experiencing SD Card Failure

Reaction score
Properly ejected sd card about an hour ago, plugged it back in to my mid 2010 imac
just now and....nothing.

I have had no problem with Sierra until just now. Is this a simple fix ?

Thanks.
Mitchel D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Restart? Shut down, remove card, restart, try again?

M

MacInWin

SD cards are somewhat unreliable. Have you tried the card in anything else to see if it can be read at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is it you are trying to do with the SD card? Do you have another card you can try in the reader? What is supposed to happen when you plug it in the slot?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a 27" Quad i7 2010 iMac. So far with Sierra my cards all mount and read. Not sure what is going on with your issue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried two different SD cards, a ProMaster 2 gig and a SanDisk 8 gig. Neither one is recognized.
I am trying to retrieve photographs off of each one. Usually, when the card is inserted, a file will
pop up on my desktop that reads Nikon D 3000 and then I can retrieve which photos I want and
copy to a file in "pictures". Like I stated previously, it was working fine earlier today. I properly ejected
the 2 gig sd card , tried to re-insert it a few minutes later and nothing popped up on my desktop.

Thanks,
Mitchel D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you connect the camera with a USB cord and access the card that way?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi MD

The D 3000 is a nice camera being one of two Nikon DSLRs I own.

I have never touched the card since the day I originally installed them in my cameras mainly because of their fragility. I always use the supplied USB cable to link with mu iMac.

I understand completely that you cannot get the USB connection to work; but have you tried opening the app called Image Capture, found in Applications or Applications > Utilities (I can't remember which and I'm on my iPad at the moment.)

If the USB connection is made and the battery on the camera switched on, you should see the camera listed in Image Capture. It lists all the pictures and allows you to select those for transfer and lets you store where you will.

If this fails on both cards, it looks like card corruption.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
That worked !! Thanks Ian !
Any ideas on how to get mi iMac to recognize my media cards through the side slot ?

Thanks,
Mitchel D

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any ideas on how to get mi iMac to recognize my media cards through the side slot ?

Yes, buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into the SD card slot. Make sure you're holding the can upright and about 6" away from the slot. SD card slots on the iMac especially your model where the slot is on the side can become contaminated with dust and dirt. That's why we suggest try cleaning the slot with air first. If it doesn't work, you still have a can of compressed air to clean your keyboard with. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Yes, buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into the SD card slot. Make sure you're holding the can upright and about 6" away from the slot. SD card slots on the iMac especially your model where the slot is on the side can become contaminated with dust and dirt. That's why we suggest try cleaning the slot with air first. If it doesn't work, you still have a can of compressed air to clean your keyboard with. :)

I'm probably paranoid, but I try not to recommend compressed air to clean out ports. My suggestion would be a vacuum cleaner, with which you can get a good enough seal using your hand. Use of vacuum, rather than pressure, prevents any debris from being blown further into the computer. If you have to use compressed air, blowing along the port to create suction inside it is another way around it. The vacuum cleaner trick has been quite successful in cleaning out the tiny microphone hole in the top edge of many iPads.

Of course, if nothing else works, then go for it with the compressed air can. NEVER use compressed air from a compressor. The moisture content is concentrated and will probably destroy the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.