OS-PRINTER incompatibility

Reaction score
:)Since downloading Yosemite my beloved Samsung ML-1430 doesn't work. A couple years ago when I upgraded to Snow Leopard I found a URL with a driver . Is there a genius out there who knows a good work-around for this recent problem?

Reaction score
samsung ML-1430 you had to keep the original cd that came with the printer have one had the exact same issue without the original cd with the printer the printer is worthless because for some odd reason samsung doesn't have driver links to this printer i had to search for it through google.

Search google by typing this in.

Samsung ML-1430 Drivers for Mac

and don't be afraid if you only find a 10.7 driver or a 10.9 driver they will work all you need to download is ktext helper app and it will update and install the printer ktext files

OP
M
Reaction score

Thanks Johnodd but I'm still in the woods. I tried to download the Samsung Universal Driver and it couldn't be downloaded. I changed my security settings to permit download of something called Foomatic and Ghostwriter which I installed. I got the printing box that I would normally get but when I selected "print" nothing happened and the green data light did not flash. Any further suggestions? Of course I did a google search before I posted on MacForum so I'm running out of ideas. I am not sophisticated in this area!

C

chas_m

:)Since downloading Yosemite my beloved Samsung ML-1430 doesn't work. A couple years ago when I upgraded to Snow Leopard I found a URL with a driver . Is there a genius out there who knows a good work-around for this recent problem?

Unless gimp-print (called something else these days) supports it, you're just playing out of luck. The maker of the printer has decided not to write a driver for Yosemite compatibility, and that's pretty much that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm a bit puzzled, if you updated to Yosemite from Mavericks then you had the driver before so unless you did a clean install you should still have it.
If what johnodd4 says is correct and you only need the ktext app to update your software (driver) then I suggest trying a search for for that as you may still have it. OR
If you connect your printer and turn it on then perform a Software Update you may find that the drivers are available from the app store. OR
Alternatively you may find what you need here Apple Samsung Printer Drivers for Mac | MacUpdate
But be careful of this site, do not use the MacUpdate Desktop button, just click Download.
If this software works with Mavericks it should work with Yosemite or it might offer an update once downloaded.
Good luck. I have had to throw away a few printers over the years because of this issue.:Blushing:

OP
M
Reaction score
Rod I never had Maverick. I updated from Snow Leopard. I just downloaded the ktext app even though I don't know what that is. It didn't help. I get the page to print but nothing happens. I tried the Apple Samsung Printer Drivers but the ML series is not on the list. I loathe this planned obsolescence! It's a perfectly fine printer and I hate to replace it. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sad but true, planned obsolescence is a *****. So it probably would not have worked with Mavericks either. Did you try the software update option, sometimes that works when nothing else does? If you must buy a new printer as I did and for much the same reason get a wifi capable scanner model, my new canon is great, anyone can print, I can print direct from my iPhone, it does it's own updates online and can send copied media to other devices via email. Big improvement on my old HP Scanner printer.
Cheers,
Rod

M

MacInWin

The Foomatic and Ghostscript issue was created because Apple moved some files associated with CUPS, and those two programs didn't have the flexibility to work with Apple's new location. If you search the site for Foomatic, you'll eventually find the thread I started on my failed printer driver, which has in it, toward the end, a link to a discussion at Apple that helped some folks. Not me, unfortunately, but I found a solution by running Win7 for the business.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Rod I never had Maverick. I updated from Snow Leopard. I just downloaded the ktext app even though I don't know what that is. It didn't help. I get the page to print but nothing happens. I tried the Apple Samsung Printer Drivers but the ML series is not on the list. I loathe this planned obsolescence! It's a perfectly fine printer and I hate to replace it. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

This is why we advise folks to keep up with updating their version of OS X. Going from 10.6.8 to 10.10.1 is a jump of 4 versions of the operating system. This is a problem you could have dealt with some time ago instead of now. If the suggestion given by Jake doesn't help you, you may be better off doing what Rod said and that is buying another printer, one that is supported.

M

MacInWin

This is why we advise folks to keep up with updating their version of OS X. Going from 10.6.8 to 10.10.1 is a jump of 4 versions of the operating system. This is a problem you could have dealt with some time ago instead of now. If the suggestion given by Jake doesn't help you, you may be better off doing what Rod said and that is buying another printer, one that is supported.
I agree, but to be honest, it broke with Yosemite. Worked fine up to then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can never understand Apple and the various brands printers and their support or lack of it, and why some just quit working with an OS X upgrade.

Among our old printers we still use, all working and networked is an old, and I mean old, HP LaserJet 4ML that's our old reliable.

And if some wonder why that's so incredible, the HP LaserJet 4ML is an AppleTalk only printer that uses a Mac serial DIN cable/connector that we have connected through an AsanteTalk adapter and an old Mac running OS X 10.5.x - the last OS X to support AppleTalk. So far it's cost us $50.00 for a toner cartridge and it's almost finished its third box of 5,000 paper pages.

And yet Apple still supplies the HP LaserJet 4MLdriver that's still working with our OS X 10.9.5 Macs. OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download - Apple Support

Unfortunately not so for the OP it seems unless a similar driver will work, as mentioned, so not even using an older Mac with an older OS X networked and shared to use the Samsung ML-1430.

M

MacInWin

At issue is whether the printer can accept Postscript directly. If yes, then the job goes to the printer directly. If not, the output needs processing. A tool called Foomatic processes the postscript into raster, using Ghostscript to do that. Then the output goes through CUPS to hpijs, the hp-provided inkjet interface. From what I can find, Apple moved CUPS, which causes Foomatic to fail. The fix I found is supposed to fix the problem by putting CUPS where Foomatic expects it, which did make the error go away, but for me left the Foomatic- Ghostscript-CUPS-hpijs string broken. As the printer is a unique label printer we needed for our business, it was a better business decision to stop wrestling with it and just go with Parallels and Win7. We already had Parallels, and I got a discount on a brand new Win7, so all is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for the info, but **** will freeze over before I'd be forced to install and use Windows to get a printer working with my Mac. ;)

But I wonder if this older solution would possibly work for the OP and their Samsung ML-1430 and Yosemite. or even Mavericks:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3248783

M

MacInWin

**** will freeze over before I'd be forced to install and use Windows to get a printer working with my Mac.
When business revenue in the Holiday season is at risk, you won't be quite so bold. As a businessman, you do what you need to do to keep the operation going.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone who tried to help me. Most of the talk went over my head. But I followed every piece of advice to no avail even changing my security preferences to download ghostscript and foomatic and the third one. Also deleted the printer and then tried to reinstall it. I am not a quitter but I think it's time to quit. Should I uninstall all those programs I tried? Rod, can you share with me the model of Canon that you are happy with? Thanks again. YOu all were kind to pitch in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.