OS installation issues - need help!! - please read; haven’t been able to find solution

Reaction score
Hi there, I have been trying to research how to fix the issue I have with my MacBook but I am struggling to find an answer – I hope someone on here can help!
(Please note I have been using pc all of my life so my Mac knowledge is limited)
So! My MacBook wouldn’t turn on, I booted it in recovery – I deleted the partition for the disc utility and started downloading a new OS (Yosemite I think), as I didn’t have wifi, I used the hotspot on my phone, however I had to leave the house and thought If I closed the MacBook it would put it to ‘sleep’ putting the download on hold..
Unfortunately I learned this wasn’t the case, now when trying to boot it in recovery and try to connect it to the internet it has the loading symbol indefinitely and doesn’t connect.
Please help!
Are there any physical parts I can buy to replace whatever I have messed up – making it like a new MacBook? Or any other advice?
I hope all of that make sense!
Thanks in advance - mac n00b ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Trying to install the OS using just your cellular service is going to take probably many hours, maybe days, depending on how much your cell phone service gets throttled. Is there no option to use a better internet connection?

Have a read of this article from Apple. You will need to restart the process from the beginning using the Internet Recovery process. But again, using your phone hotspot is going to be very, very slow. The download to install is in the neighborhood of 4-6 GB, just to get started.

What Mac is it? Do you know the model, or how old it is, or what the original version of the OS is? Apple hasn't sold the OS on any media in years, so there aren't any physical parts you can buy that I would trust.

Do you know anyone with a Mac that might be able to make a bootable USB thumb drive for you to use?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Ezzkell and thank you for your post.

Just to add a tiny point to Jake's excellent advice: Could you take your MacBook, being portable, to somewhere with a good WiFi? For example, a friend's home. Until recently, I'd have said an Internet cafe; but that's gone for now.

Trying to do what you need by cellular - well, it's fraught with complications; and cost! Try to find a kindly sole with WiFi. Even then, it will take a while.:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.