OS Catalina For MacBook Pro ???

Reaction score
Hi

How do i perform a fresh installation of macOS Catalina on a MacBook Pro, I'm currently running Catalina 10.15.7. Would I need to perform a factory reset, or could I just install the latest version of Catalina, not familiar with this process,

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Here's how.

OP
P
Reaction score
Here's how.

Hi, thanks for the link,

Just to be clear, when performing a re-installation of MacOS, does this process re-install the same OS, in my case OS Catalina, or will it install the new version MacOS Monterey? I'm looking only to make fresh installation of OS Catalina, i assume then I would be needing to perform a factory reset as opposed to a new installation, or have I got that wrong?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The recovery console is tied to the OS you are currently running. So when you erase and re-install, you only get back what you are currently running. If you upgrade to a newer version of macOS, the recovery console upgrades as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, that info was very helpful, I take it then Recovery Mode erase and re-install is the same thing as a Factory reset?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.