OS 10.8.5 anomaly

Reaction score
On restart or shut down an installer dialog box appears with the familiar yellow and brown unfolded box icon. It gives me the option to abort or continue the installation process. If I take no action, the restart or shut down will continue without a problem. If I click one of the two options in the dialog box a new window appears saying the process was either canceled or will continue, depending on which option I select. This shut down or restart continues anyway. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this annoyance would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.

OP
R
Reaction score
I trashed the offending files manually after the software found four of them. Second restart was normal. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you use AdwareMedic Rob or manually? There is a lot of garbage floating about on the 'net. If you can avoid CNET and Softonic downloads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leave AdwareMedic on the machine Rob. Handy little app which is updated often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Did you use AdwareMedic Rob or manually? There is a lot of garbage floating about on the 'net. If you can avoid CNET and Softonic downloads.

CNET is not a legitimate, or safe, site for downloads? I've seen you mention this at least twice and I am curious why you believe so.

M

MacInWin

CNET has started to bundle crapware with their downloads. Don't know why the did that, or if it's just that they don't check their downloadable files for crapware, but in either case, CNET is now dodgy (as is Softonic and Downloads.com (which is also CNET)).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake. That is why dotdotdot. Added malware and Adware just like all those Windows add-ons that go on a machine when folk just tick the agree box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.