OS 10.3 - disable search?

Reaction score
Hi.

Is it possible to disable the search engine that runs in OS 10.3? I believe in 10.4 you can configure spotlight to only index certain directories, is this possible with 10.3? I believe that the search is locking a file in an application I need to use which is preventing it from saving the file.

Any thoughts most welcome,
Thanks
AbsolutelyN

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, I'm perfectly open to being completely wrong. Would you be kind enough to elaborate on what it could be?

My theory is based on the exact error occurring on OS 10.4 in the application I'm trying to use:

"OS 10.4 has an application called 'spotlight'. What this does is sort your files so the Mac can access and find them quicker. What I is happening is ‘spotlight’ is locking the file while we try to access for processing. If you go to system preferences you can decide what files and folders get sorted by spotlight, if you uncheck the folders this will resolve the issue."

M

MacInWin

What this does is sort your files so the Mac can access and find them quicker.
No, what Spotlight does is to INDEX the files so that you can search for and in them. Spotlight doesn't "lock" files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.