• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Orientation of positive vs negative voltage post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
My wife presented me with this tiny white shaver and said the battery needed to be replaced. I pointed out that it was a rechargeable battery and she needed the power cable that plugged into the socket underneath. She swears she never had a cable so...I can probably jury rig something to put 5 VDC at 1 Amp from my surplus small transformers, but am unsure of the polarity. I would hope the plugs are standardized. so the plug has 2 recessed pins with a tab on one side (between them). One side of the pins is flat. The other side is curved. I assume this denotes the polarity, but which is which. Is the flat side negative or positive?
There is no model or part number visible. I don't want to open this up but will as a last resort. Hoping somebody can answer this.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Maybe a picture would help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
but which is which. Is the flat side negative or positive?

There may be a small amount of residual charge left in the batteries for you to use a DC voltage multimeter set on the right scale to measure the voltage at the contact points you can see. Worth a try, even if it's only a small amount of voltage, there should be enough to tell you which polarity it is.

My concern would be what rechargeable battery type is actually inside which can certainly make a difference as to what charger you are going to use especially to keep everything safe.

If the device is old, it might be better to just get a new razor with a new battery and it's newer technology that would probably work better.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly what I told my wife. Found it on Amazon. She bought it in April 2022 One person lost power cord. Bought another one and now watches out for the cord. Another also misplaced/lost laments cannot get replacement. USB to razor plug cable. Wife won't let me search her things for the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wife won't let me search her things for the cable.

I am not going to get involved and I don't want to start an argument but why is it your problem that she can't find the cable or your responsibility to fix the razor???

If it's anything like the beard trimmer/razor I got a year or so ago, its rechargeable battery uses a pretty standard USB-A to mini or micro USB cable, and there are certainly lots available at Amazon and other normal computer cable places for just a few dollars:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=USB+to+r..._noss&tag=macforums0e4-20?tag=macforums0e4-20

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that adapter is too big for the smaller trimmer. It's the same type. and I have some, but much smaller one is needed. She uses it to trim our Ragdoll's paws and long hair.
Why is it my responsibility? Patrick, I would guess you are not married.
My wife is extremely technology challenged. She cannot operate the TV remote without calling me to fix something she'd managed to mess up.
I was going to check it with a multimeter but can't find where she put it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that adapter is too big for the smaller trimmer

As Jake posted in his #3 post to this thread:
"...a picture would help"

With a ruler or something equivalent for comparison size to measure against.

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just took this

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Residual voltage of 9 miilivots show the straight side is positive, curved side negative. I just don't have a female adapter that can fit over the pins..either too small or too large. I will just order another one so we'll have two with one power cable.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To be honest that looks like a connector for a 110v/ac plug. The two shapes are to make sure the ground is connected to the ground plug prong at the wall. I wouldn't try one, though, as the risk if it's not 110v is high that the razor may overheat very quickly.

Your idea of buying an identical one seems practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just took this

Wow, that definitely is not an average power connector, but is almost a proprietary one, but does seem to go by and seems very close to what they call the IEC 60320 C7P Polarised.png plug:

The images seem to display a normal 110 volt plug for the opposite end as Jake suggested, and maybe you can recall what the original one looked like and what it plugged into has that's a lot of power to plug into a small razor I would certainly want to make sure.

Anyway, it looks to be quite readily available as a reasonable cost and Monoprice makes some excellent good quality cables at a very reasonable price. Personal experience and very satisfied user over the years.

But if you go on price there's a much cheaper one available here, under $3 Canadian for a 3 ft cable version:

NEMA 1-15P to IEC C7 Polarized Power Cable - 18AWG SPT-2 - 3ft​

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Original plug connects 5V 1A dc from USB type plug. Its available from Amazon:
Turn Raise Professional Dog Grooming clippers Low Noise

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.