Ordered Mac Studio

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've enjoyed my 2018 Mac Mini with the upgraded 6-core Intel processor and 32GB of memory. But as my day to day work machine, I was finding that I'm constantly taxing it. With the M1 Mac Mini announced, that was a good option, but the limit memory wasn't going to work for me.

With the announcement of the Mac Studio, with the superior M1 Max and M1 Ultra chips, I've taken the plunge and ordered the M1 Max base model with the 32GB of memory and 500GB SSD.

Since I'm making do with my current 32GB, I imagine the 32GB will be fine for my workflow as well. The machine is set to arrive mid April, I'll report back on how things change for me on a day-to-day basis once I get it all set up.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're bound to hate that new machine. I volunteer to look out for your best interests and well-being by taking it off your hands. :)

Congrats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Ashwin, I am sure you will love it. (Sorry Sly, I am afraid it will prove to be a keeper.. :cry: )
And yes, be sure to post a review.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ashwin, I am sure you will love it. (Sorry Sly, I am afraid it will prove to be a keeper.. :cry: )
And yes, be sure to post a review.

Lisa
You just had to burst my bubble, didn't you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well you can always hope if Ashwin does decide he hates his new mac, you as a good and kind concerned friend will be first in line!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congrats Ashwin!:) Of course I'm jealous!;)

Given at the moment the base Mac Studio has better benchmarks in some areas than some Mac Pro models costing a lot more...definitely seems like a wise choice. And if you need/want 32GB of RAM...can't even get that with a new M1 Mac-Mini...thus Mac Studio is the way to go.

One thing to consider (if you wanted to modify your order). I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos for the new Mac Studio...and one upgrade that seems to be suggested is upgrading the internal storage.

According to the videos...the SSD inside the Mac Studio is supposed to be super fast (the fastest currently available)...and $200 to double the Mac Studio internal storage to 1TB is supposed to be a good deal (since adding 500GB of fast SSD storage externally could cost close to $200...and not be nearly as fast).

Just something to consider. If the wife is already hitting you over the head with the frying pan for spending $1999 on a Mac Studio...then $200 more might get you permanent status on the couch! Lol

Gonna be cool to see & hear about that puppy when you get it!:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
One thing to consider (if you wanted to modify your order). I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos for the new Mac Studio...and one upgrade that seems to be suggested is upgrading the internal storage.
Saw this article where someone opened up a Studio and the Storage appears to be replaceable physically, but blocked by software. May be possible for someone like OWC to figure out how to make it user replaceable down the road. Something to keep an eye on, anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saw this article where someone opened up a Studio and the Storage appears to be replaceable physically, but blocked by software. May be possible for someone like OWC to figure out how to make it user replaceable down the road. Something to keep an eye on, anyway.
Thanks Jake. I saw stories about how the Mac Studio internal storage may be upgradeable (since it has 2 M2 SSD sockets)...but didn't see the part about it being blocked by software.

I bet someone will figure something out eventually.:)

Nick

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Ashwin!:) Of course I'm jealous!;)

Given at the moment the base Mac Studio has better benchmarks in some areas than some Mac Pro models costing a lot more...definitely seems like a wise choice. And if you need/want 32GB of RAM...can't even get that with a new M1 Mac-Mini...thus Mac Studio is the way to go.

According to the videos...the SSD inside the Mac Studio is supposed to be super fast (the fastest currently available)...and $200 to double the Mac Studio internal storage to 1TB is supposed to be a good deal (since adding 500GB of fast SSD storage externally could cost close to $200...and not be nearly as fast).

Just something to consider. If the wife is already hitting you over the head with the frying pan for spending $1999 on a Mac Studio...then $200 more might get you permanent status on the couch! Lol

Gonna be cool to see & hear about that puppy when you get it!:)

Nick
Nick,

I have 512GB on my Mac Mini right now and use about 35% of it. I have an external 1TB drive that I use for big files and that works really well for me. I also keep all of my VMs on there and that's been performant as well.

So while the upgrade to 1TB is a totally acceptable $200, based on my current use case, it looks like I wouldn't need it. I would've rather put that and an additional $200 to get the 64GB of memory, but that would make the machine custom and pushes the delivery date by a month or so more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's supposed to be one of the tricks to ordering a Mac Studio (and getting it as soon as possible)...playing with the upgrades & checking the delivery dates. Looks like the base model is still the fastest.

One thing to consider. I know haven't even gotten it yet;)...but thinking of resale (if you should ever sell it). 1TB of internal storage might be more attractive to buyers when (at that time)...there's a plethora of base models. Might make yours standout from the crowd.

Just a thought,:)

Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interestingly enough, base models of the Studio Display and the Mac Studio are now available at certain Apple Stores. I haven't done any checking of stores here in our Dallas Fort Worth area since right now I'm going to hold on for an updated Mac Mini before I order a Studio Display.

Our local Best Buy stores have the Studio Display base model. It's an amazing display and should be for the elevated price. LOL

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly enough, base models of the Studio Display and the Mac Studio are now available at certain Apple Stores. I haven't done any checking of stores here in our Dallas Fort Worth area since right now I'm going to hold on for an updated Mac Mini before I order a Studio Display.

Our local Best Buy stores have the Studio Display base model. It's an amazing display and should be for the elevated price. LOL

Thanks for the nudge Charlie, I checked and turns out that my local Apple store has the base model in stock, so cancelled my order and placed a new one to pick up tomorrow. Way better than waiting til mid April.

My review will come sooner now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's really good news. Let us know how it goes. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Ashwin. Great tip from Charlie!:)

Nick

p.s. Considering the backlog of orders for the Mac Studio when ordering online...amazing any local stores have them in stock.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Considering the backlog of orders for the Mac Studio when ordering online...amazing any local stores have them in stock
And considering the price;);)

Ian

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And considering the price;);)

Ian
A colleague of mine ordered the same machine when announced and it arrived yesterday and he's already impressed by it. He's upgrading from a M1 MBP, so he's always familiar with the ARM performance on Macs.

Based on the geekbench scores, upgrading from my Intel Mac Mini will be quite nice.

Also, while the price is high, I don't mind spending it on something that will make a material difference in my day to day work. Also, I can make a good bit of money on my current Mac Mini, so it'll offset nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I predict that Apple will eventually offer an update kit for the Mac Studio the same as they did for the Mac Pro.

These machines are mainly for professional users and as such, a lot is expected from Apple to support them. Time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD

I saw a video. But the guy who was taking the Studio apart said that he was not sure he would be able to put it back together again. I watched the whole thing, and I agreed with his assessment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iFixit did a video of their disassembly. Didn't seem that hard to do, no special tools. Only tricky part I saw was the removal of the black ring on the bottom that covers the initial set of screws. All are torx, apparently. Fans were HUGE, heat sink also HUGE. The storage for the drive was very small, in comparison, and they said the swappability was not settled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.