optical mouse detected as keyboard

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im new here. I just purchased an optical mouse for my MBP(mid 2010) and plugged it in and the keyboard assistant manager popped up. I exited out of that and the mouse is detected as a keyboard under the keyboard settings (under system preferences). I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before and how do I change it to detect the mouse as a mouse. The mouse powers up so that isnt the issue. The red laser on the bottom of the mouse lights up for about 3 seconds and then turns off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi everyone. Im new here. I just purchased an optical mouse for my MBP(mid 2010) and plugged it in and the keyboard assistant manager popped up. I exited out of that and the mouse is detected as a keyboard under the keyboard settings (under system preferences). I am wondering if anyone has had this problem before and how do I change it to detect the mouse as a mouse. The mouse powers up so that isnt the issue. The red laser on the bottom of the mouse lights up for about 3 seconds and then turns off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello - welcome aboard! :) I cannot answer your question(s) yet, but please provide some more information: 1) What Mac computer (year) & iOS are you using; 2) Since you used the Notebook forum, assume you have a KB built in - correct: 3) What is the brand/model of mouse being used; and 4) Is the mouse cabled or wireless? Dave

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi Dave. Well I have a 15" MBP (mid 2010). I am running os X Yosemite. Im not quite sure what a KB is. The mouse im using is an off brand gaming mouse that i got pretty cheap just to use at work, but it is a wired mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Dave. Well I have a 15" MBP (mid 2010). I am running os X Yosemite. Im not quite sure what a KB is. The mouse im using is an off brand gaming mouse that i got pretty cheap just to use at work, but it is a wired mouse.

Hi again - KB = keyboard. OK - so a USB wired & powered mouse (i.e. no batteries needed). Do you know the brand/model - might help? Have you tried the cable in another port on the same computer or on another computer? Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The red laser on the bottom of the mouse lights up for about 3 seconds and then turns off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Most USB mice are compatible with Mac OS X, however, gaming mice are a different category of pointing devices. Your gaming mouse is very likely not compatible with OS X or it needs a driver. Since it's an inexpensive device, it's unlikely you're going to find a driver for it. The solution: Return it and buy another mouse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.