Optical Drive not sharing between iMac and G5

Reaction score
Never had a problem with this with any other disks, but now trying to copy music cd to disk by sharing my Optical Drive from G5 to iMac and it will not work.

When I launch the Music CD on the G5 it starts playing with iTunes, that's good.

I stopped the CD and quit iTunes on the G5, doesn't matter, keep getting "Waiting for Disk Drive".

However on the iMac I can not access the shared drive, I get "Waiting for Disk Drive".

What is going on here, more surprises.

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 3.15.17 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
This really, really, annoys me, and why I probably will never buy any more apple products.

I had big hopes to use my optical drive on my G5 to start moving my CD library to disk using shared drives with my iMac.

Not going to happen.

"DVD or CD sharing isn't designed for some kinds of optical media. Connect a compatible optical drive directly to your Mac if you need to use one of these discs:"

So none of my 700 plus CD's will work with shared Apple Super Drive.

I either have to pay a service to load them to disk or buy another optical drive.

I am an experienced user, a lot of years experience using multiple apple products, and there is always some new not good surprise with apple.

No more USB faxing, now no CD sharing, etc. It is a long list as apple goes about it's business of obsoleting it's customers investments as quickly as they can.

Has anyone had any success sharing an optical drive with CD's, DVD's, etc.

Comments?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I’ve shared an optical drive, with a win 10 OS computer, but that’s the extent of it.

Why not just copy the music files from your G5, instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I didn't notice any mention of Mac Models nor their OS X versions and I'm assuming that “DVD or CD Sharing” checkbox in the System Prefs Sharing prefpane is enabled.

If it's setup properly for sharing, it usually just works but I haven't needed to do so for quite a while.

Maybe provide some more details.

From the Help menu:
Insert the disc into the drive.

On the Mac that doesn’t have an optical drive, select Remote Disc under Devices in a Finder window sidebar. If you see the “Ask to use” button, click it.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.