OOps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB, 4GB RAM 500GB Hardrive
Okay, so you know in the finder how on the left hand side there is that whole list of quick links I guess you could call them?
Well, for some reason I decided to drag my hard drive icon to the desktop, (I thought it would make a copy on the desktop) and it poofed away! Now I have no idea how to get it back and I cant find it!
Does what i just said make sense to anyone? And how do I fix it? Thankyou so much!

C

chas_m

Yes, you described this very well. The area on the left of the Finder window is called the "sidebar," btw.

To put the hard drive icon back, just drag it from the desktop (I assume you have it mounted there) to the sidebar. Be sure not to "drop" it too early!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See thats the problem, I was trying to do that, because it wasnt there and thats when I poofed it. I think maybe I tried to drag it from the wrong spot, I'm guessing you can't make shortcuts out of the shortcuts in the sidebar by dragging them to the desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
by dragging anything out of the sidebar, you just remove the shortcut ... but you can just go to Finder preferences (cmd+,) and select the Sidebar tab to edit what you want to be viewed on your sidebar

to show the Macintosh HD on your desktop, just select the General tab in Finder preferences and go from there

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh okay, thankyou.
Also I know this isn't related, but I don't want to start a whole other thread, but does safari have a refresh shortcut? Because on my PC, in firefox it was f5, but that doesn't work on safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
cmd~r will refresh for you ........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
^^^ I just learned this shortcut yesterday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.