OnyX Disk Error (MacBook)

Reaction score
I ran OnyX last night and I received a disk error. Here is what it said.

Error detected (-9972) while verifying/repairing volume disk0s2 Macintosh HD

I ran OnyX the day before and had no issues. Here is what changed.

I deleted Adobe Acrobat using AppZapper.

I deleted all languages except for all forms of English using Monolingual.

I ran software update. The only updates were something about WWAN and a general fix Airport Extreme update.

I rebooted and opened OnyX again. That's when I got the desk error.

Does anyone know what I need to do to remedy the situation?

Any help will be much appreciated!

M

MacHeadCase

Cherokee, the AppZapper guys are real darlings when you have to deal with them, you might want to ask them if they think AppZapper is the cause of this error message: I think they'd be thrilled because this would help them make the app better. Just go to AppZapper and click on the Support tab, this will open an email and you can then describe the problem.

Now about the error message... I googled for error -9972 mac os x but holy crap, here comes the teacher! Will have to look into this later, class is starting! Unless someone else picks this up for me.

Later!

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
There is nothing for -9972 on Apple's support site. I haven't found anything useful through Google searches yet...

I emailed AppZapper support. We'll see if they have anything to say.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I found this on Apple's site. I'm not sure if it's related or not. It doesn't address my issue specifically, but it mentions the (-9972) code.

It seems to indicate that the code means disk utility can't repair a problem. I don't know... This stuff is over my head. :(

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302411

I can do a clean install if necessary. I don't have much at all on my HDD. I guess I need to know if it's a bad HDD or a software problem.

M

MacHeadCase

There is nothing for -9972 on Apple's support site. I haven't found anything useful through Google searches yet...

I emailed AppZapper support. We'll see if they have anything to say.

Good luck! I have dealt with them before and they were really sweet. This is one thing that totally floors me, using a Mac: the shareware developers are close (usually) to the community and always enjoy getting feedback on their apps because, in their eyes, it helps them make a better app.

I hope you get a reply soon! :girl:

Edited to add:

DOH! It was very early in the morning for me and brain didn't kick in! Now it does so let's quickly take advantage before it goes back to sleep in five minutes! LOL

Maybe the problem comes from the fact that Adobe has an uninstaller for Acrobat! If Adobe went to the trouble of writing an uninstaller, it means that it must be ultra difficult for any other app to wipe it cleanly out off of the hard drive.

Although to be honest, I did try uninstalling Acrobat a couple of years ago because it messed up my printer prefs and I never could reinstall it afterwards!

So anyway long story to say that the problem must have come from the fact that you didn't use Adobe's own uninstaller for Acrobat!

*Still kicking myself for missing that!*

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
Yeah, I hope to hear back soon. I kind of doubt that AppZapper is the problem. It seems kind of unlikely. I'm leaning more towards the language removal. It took a long time to accomplish and it removed 2.5 gigs worth of data.

It's all idle chatter though. I don't have a clue what caused it. That's why I asked here. :black:

Hopefully someone can recommend something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Yeah, I hope to hear back soon. I kind of doubt that AppZapper is the problem. It seems kind of unlikely. I'm leaning more towards the language removal. It took a long time to accomplish and it removed 2.5 gigs worth of data.

It's all idle chatter though. I don't have a clue what caused it. That's why I asked here. :black:

Hopefully someone can recommend something...

actually, some application deletion programs might cause problems. Whether it's the cause in this case or not, I can't say, but I've had a problem with one application deletion program. I downloaded a demo of suitcase, but found it chugged along (even on my macbook) so I decided I wanted to get rid of it. I don't think there was an uninstaller - if there was, I didn't think to use it. Anyway, I used an app to attempt to trash suitcase. That worked fine, but it also grabbed some other files and plugins from illustrator. I didn't know this at the time, but after trashing all that, Illustrator would always bring up an error message at launch telling me the plugin wasn't found. It's not a serious problem (a reinstall would probably fix it) but it taught me to be more wary of such apps and what they decide to move to the trash for you.

It doesn't seem that the items you deleted would be connected to this kind of problem, but with the filenames they might have had, an error the deletion software's part might have occurred. Again, I can't say for sure, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I need to be coached along here. I don't have much experience with troubleshooting Macs.

Do you think an erase and install is in order?

Should I run a hardware check from my OSX disk?

Feel free to suggest some plans of action that I can try.

Like I said, a clean install wouldn't be tragic. I've only had my MacBook for a few weeks. I don't have much on the HDD.

OP
Cherokee
Reaction score
I ran the disk utility from the OSX installer disk. It found a problem and was able to repair it. I rebooted and launched OnyX. It verified the startup disk with no problems.

It looks like I won't have to do an install after all. For now anyway...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.