OnyX and security

M

MacInWin

Following the right click option is far better than turning Gatekeeper off. Leave the security settings alone and do the right click. You only need to do it once for each download you get from non-Apple sources, so it's not that hard to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
Got a msg from Nick that to allow Onyx to open (msg from system saying Safari downloaded from a developer not recognized by Apple and not downloaded from App Store), I needed to allow the security settings to open it. I don't see anything in system prefs security about that - which at least is intuitive to me. Can you, Nick, - or anyone with the knowledge - give me more specific info on how to allow Onyx to open? Thanks to all for all suggestions.
Herman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Herman - both Nick and Harry have made appropriate suggestions - let me illustrate one option w/ the screen capture below of my System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General. Unlock the dialog box w/ your password (blue arrow); then select 'Anywhere' (red arrow) - Onyx should then open - finally make sure you change the security settings back, if desired. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 10.41.49 AM.png

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

finally make sure you change the security settings back, if desired.
No, not if desired, just do it. It's part of the security of OS X and if you disable it you put the machine at risk. Given you are a rookie (I know because you didn't already know how to bypass this function just once.) it's not a good idea to disable security features. In the future, the right click, select Open, acknowledge the warning and proceed is a better way to go. You only have to do that once per application like this and it leaves security in place. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
Thanks to Nick, RadDave, and MacInWin for most helpful suggestions. I have Onyx downloaded, opened, and it has done verification, disk permissions, & cleaning on my iMac. I appreciate the knowledge base among the NON-rookies very much. Herman

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks to Nick, RadDave, and MacInWin for most helpful suggestions. I have Onyx downloaded, opened, and it has done verification, disk permissions, & cleaning on my iMac. I appreciate the knowledge base among the NON-rookies very much. Herman

You are very welcome Herman.:)

In the future you may run into this Mac OS security feature again. Now you know how to deal with it. Of course…only allow the install of apps that you know come from trusted websites.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hi Herman - now Jake and Nick are correct, and I should have really not put in that 'if desired' at the end of my previous post; if you noticed my 'screen capture', my setting is on the middle radio button which would be my 'real' suggestion - so play safe. Glad all worked out for you. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Hi All,
I would like to ask a few more questions on ONYX if I may, as I have just downloaded it and saw the instructions to do a few checks before use.
- How do you check the SMART status of the startup disk and it's system files?
- Will ONYX work on a 3TB Fusion Drive?
Thanks

P.S. I held the control button when opening after download, and clicked "open" from the dropdown menu.(try and stay on topic with the last replies).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,
I would like to ask a few more questions on ONYX if I may, as I have just downloaded it and saw the instructions to do a few checks before use.
- How do you check the SMART status of the startup disk and it's system files?
- Will ONYX work on a 3TB Fusion Drive?

Hello again - Onyx on opening will first 'verify' your HD (unless you disable that feature) which means that the file structure features will be checked and SMART status verified (if possible; apparently, Onyx cannot verify that status on a fusion drive).

Below are several screen captures, one showing Onyx's status check on the SSD of my MBPro, i.e. both the file structure & SMART were verified; on a fusion drive the file structure will be checked - of course, the latter can also be verified using 'Disk Utility' (DU) in OS X.

But, apparently DU in Yosemite does not check for SMART status anymore (at least not on my two machines w/ the new OS installed); however, just go to 'About This Mac' and generate a system information report - open the 'Storage' option - there the SMART status will be indicated (see the second image below) - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 12.17.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 1.12.31 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
Thanks Dave, the "About this Mac" route worked, and showed both my Bootcamp, and 2 disks drives were all SMART verified. The next bigger question now is: Will it work on the Fusion Drive? I'm afraid to let it loose and find I may run into problems that could have been avoided with due diligence.

Buzzi3G

Reaction score
Following the right click option is far better than turning Gatekeeper off. Leave the security settings alone and do the right click. You only need to do it once for each download you get from non-Apple sources, so it's not that hard to do.
So basically just download it to mac and right click files I want to unzip and open?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So basically just download it to mac and right click files I want to unzip and open?

Firstly, a warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

You obviously know that you are adding to a thread which was last posted to 8.5 years ago.

That said: My answer would be "Yes".

If you want us to take things further: either post a new thread or continue with this and give us your Mac's Model, Year, Operating System (OS) and as much info as possible please.:):)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.