on Backup (opinions wanted)...

J

Joeytpg

ok, as you know i'll be buying my pbook 15", plus backpack, external mouse (maybe the Logitec bluetooth mouse - 900MX or something like that, is it a good mouse?.......anyways...) i'll be subscribing to .mac,

i really want to buy something to back up some things on the computer......like my videos, my music, some important documents, etc. (not programs or any of that software kinda stuff)

so i need an opinion on which one you think is best for this.....

-External H.D.
-iPod
-USB Flash Drive

i know they're all different things...but i need portability plus space (not talking about 100 gb, no with 10 or 15 i'll do it...... but i need portability to save university's documents there,

can you give me an alternative?

and Prices too :)

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
USB drives: smallest and lightest, but most expensive (on a per-megabyte basis) Very convenient for small amounts of data (<128 MB or so)
The Apple Store has 128MB drives for $50, 512 for $130...and a 1GB drive for $300!

Portable FireWire drives: cheapest (again, per-megabyte) Iomega sells a 20GB drive for $130
http://www.iomega.com/na/products/p...&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=63191&bmUID=1086571306805

iPod: most versatile. All the functionality of a HD, plus it plays music, too. More expensive than a HD, but much cheaper than a bunch of flash drives. $300 for 15GB; student discounts available.

(All prices in US dollars...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Media backup? I would recommend a DVD-R...4.2Gb on a single disk. Media's cheap and it's really useful. I think the cost of drive's are almost rock bottom now. Great time to buy, if you've not already.

All the one's you've listed are mechanical, if they break or you've dropped them, your data's kinda lost or stuck or worst, lost.

OP
P

pcjabber

hype.it, you could argue the same with a DVD-R, too. And, SuperDrives aren't cheap, and sometimes not available. Personally, I would go with the FW HD. Or the iPod. But know this: when you use the iPod as a FW HD, you will shorten the life of the iPod somewhat.

PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the PowerBook has a SuperDrive, there's no good reason not to back up onto DVD, even if you do get another HD.

With regard to the fragility of media...in my mind, as long as you have to copies of something, and the media is reasonably durable, you're safe. It's very unlikely that both volumes will fail at the same time. (Of course, any truly critical files should be backed up a third time, and stored at a seperate location.)

OP
P

pcjabber

technologist said:
If the PowerBook has a SuperDrive, there's no good reason not to back up onto DVD, even if you do get another HD.

With regard to the fragility of media...in my mind, as long as you have to copies of something, and the media is reasonably durable, you're safe. It's very unlikely that both volumes will fail at the same time. (Of course, any truly critical files should be backed up a third time, and stored at a seperate location.)
Yes, if you have a SuperDrive, they are excellent means of backing up. And, DVD media is pretty durable, I was just saying -- you could say that any media can break. If it will depends on if you drop it or scratch it or put it in a fire (whoops, got carried away) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
pcjabber said:
hype.it, you could argue the same with a DVD-R, too. And, SuperDrives aren't cheap, and sometimes not available. Personally, I would go with the FW HD. Or the iPod. But know this: when you use the iPod as a FW HD, you will shorten the life of the iPod somewhat.

PCjabber

Who said anything about a SuperDrive, I merely mentioned a DVD-R because it's the most flexible mass storage medium, apart from tape. You can buy and OEM DVD-R drive at almost in any computer store. It's not the 1980's any more and Macs don't need to use Apple Specific hardware. All you need after is some sort of Firewire Bused connection box and Toast.

OP
P

pcjabber

hype.it said:
Who said anything about a SuperDrive, I merely mentioned a DVD-R because it's the most flexible mass storage medium, apart from tape. You can buy and OEM DVD-R drive at almost in any computer store. It's not the 1980's any more and Macs don't need to use Apple Specific hardware. All you need after is some sort of Firewire Bused connection box and Toast.
Very true. :eek: No need to get defensive. :) I was merely stating another point of view. Anyway, really, any drive you want is good. For easy, fast re-writing, though, I would suggest either a FW HD or the iPod (note what I said about the iPod as a HD). Or the USB key, but they are pretty pricey. You can pick up (at least) a 20GB FW HD for the price of a 1GB USB key....:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. eBay comes to mind. Just be-careful what you buy.

I mean, read the text. Hate to see someone buying a useless 'key' for something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hype.it said:
Who said anything about a SuperDrive...

I believe I said something about the SuperDrive...and I mentioned it, because most PowerBook models have them standard these days, and it's only a $200 upgrade if you build-to-order--very competitive with a standalone DVD-R drive.

OP
D

d4rr3n

technologist said:
I believe I said something about the SuperDrive...and I mentioned it, because most PowerBook models have them standard these days, and it's only a $200 upgrade if you build-to-order--very competitive with a standalone DVD-R drive.

You can get an oem dvd-r drive with better specs for under $70. I dont see how in their desktops they can charge an additional $200 for a 4x dvd-r or an additional $300 for a radeon 9800pro on top of what you pay for the stock drive and video card and people dont call them on it. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stock AGP Graphics cards will not work in a Desktop Mac.

1. The Apple uses a propriety DVI socket known as ADC (Apple Display Connector), although there is a standard DVI also. The ADC also supplies the Apple Display with power, signals to configure the monitor; change it's brightness, colour and all. Plus you can shut down the system using a clever touch sensitive button, as found on Cube's.

2. Besides the AGP slot, the card itself is slightly different as it has a slot for drawing additional power from the motherboard, unlike it's PC sibling that uses a standard device power port.

3. Propriety Firmware... At one time, people used to flash the card so it'll work. But with new cards, i haven't seen this done. Dunno why.

OP
D

d4rr3n

hype.it said:
Stock AGP Graphics cards will not work in a Desktop Mac.

1. The Apple uses a propriety DVI socket known as ADC (Apple Display Connector), although there is a standard DVI also. The ADC also supplies the Apple Display with power, signals to configure the monitor; change it's brightness, colour and all. Plus you can shut down the system using a clever touch sensitive button, as found on Cube's.

2. Besides the AGP slot, the card itself is slightly different as it has a slot for drawing additional power from the motherboard, unlike it's PC sibling that uses a standard device power port.

3. Propriety Firmware... At one time, people used to flash the card so it'll work. But with new cards, i haven't seen this done. Dunno why.

I understand it uses a different version of the card and that a stock pc agp card cant go in there. I just dont see how it could cost about twice as much as the pc version of the card. And i would bet much more of the pc versions would be underclocked 9800xt cores (my 9800pro isn't a 9800xt core :(, but it still overclocks to higher specs than a stock 9800xt :) ) than the mac ones since there is not a 9800xt avalilable for mac is there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.