Older imac freezing after upgrading to Snow Leopard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That download took forever around 5 hours, just finished but it worked [thanks], will try Yosemite tomorrow, get back to you.

You must have pretty slow internet on your end…or something is up with your internet. My internet is nothing special…and I downloaded the combo update in 8 minutes.:)

Anyways glad to hear it worked.:) Wasn't part of the beginning of this whole story start with this computer having Yosemite on it?? Since this computer initially was running Tiger (10.4)…successfully installing 10.6 would already be a nice OS upgrade.:)

Wouldn't upgrading it all the way to Yosemite be pushing it? Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think with only 2gig of ram its going to be a very good experience. If Yosemite is installed…and the computer runs too slow…then an OS downgrade will desired…and you'll be back doing what you just did…reinstalling 10.6 again!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd sure agree and support Nick's comments here, and I sure wouldn't be tempting any Yosemite install unless I had a proper separate updated cloned backup copy of the SL install on an external drive and I'd suggest using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) for cloning.

OP
M
Reaction score
You must have pretty slow internet on your end…or something is up with your internet. My internet is nothing special…and I downloaded the combo update in 8 minutes.:)

Actually I have the fastest net service [Verizon Fios Quantum] so I am puzzled why that took 5 hours, could it be due to the unit itself?

Also, I had told the owner from the beginning that just because Yosemite installed and "looked" like all is well that my recommendation is he work with SL but his call.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd sure agree and support Nick's comments here, and I sure wouldn't be tempting any Yosemite install unless I had a proper separate updated cloned backup copy of the SL install on an external drive and I'd suggest using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) for cloning.

Thanks a lot for this, I will hold on to this info for future use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.