Old Programs

Reaction score
I'm upgrading from G3 to a G4 with OSX. Does anyone know if my Quark 3.31, Photoshop 3 or Illustrator 6 will work OK?

Reaction score
Only if you keep OS 9 on the machine. I run OS 9 on another partition, though you can load both on the same one. I never have.

OS 9 will run through OS X's Classic, but Quark is simply awful running through Classic. Pages won't redraw without collapsing them, and sometimes even window-shading the page with a double click doesn't fix it.

There are Quark extensions available for free that supposedly prevent the redrawing problem. I use RedrawClassic XT US, which I found to the best of a bad lot, but the problem remains. I simply boot into 9 to use Quark.

Reaction score
Should have mentioned that if you put OS X and 9 on the same partition, you can't fix 9 with Norton or anything else, because the repair programs will royally screw up X.

So I have two OS 9 partitions, one very small, that I boot into to repair the main 9 partition will all my 9 apps. Then, of course, I use the main 9 partition to fix the small one. It's crazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.