Old Mac OS X 10.6.8 needs update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13-inches (mid-2009).2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory:2 GB 1067 M
I purchased a Mac back in 2004-2005 and it's slower than can be. I obviously know I need to update it in order for it to speed up. Do I need just a new RAM, RAM and Processor? It's 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 1 GB Memory 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I Mac 5,1

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay with the limited amount of information you have provided, I will attempt to point you in the right direction. The iMac 5,1 was released in late 2006. With out more specific information that is as close as I can get. It would help to know screen size and model number too.

Based on what you have said, to speed it up you can -

1. Add memory. You can add up to 4GB (it has two slots in it.)

Apple iMac Memory Upgrades for 17", 20", and 24" Models equipped with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz

2. Change the hard drive to an SSD - as large as you can afford, they are expensive. Not totally necessary but it will make a big difference.

OWC Mercury Electra 3G Solid State Drive (SSD) Solutions - High Performance, Reliability, and Endurance

3. Upgrade the operating system to Mavericks (10.9.5) or even Yosemite (10.10.1)

https://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

The processor can not be upgraded but it is a decent processor.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I purchased a Mac back in 2004-2005 and it's slower than can be. I obviously know I need to update it in order for it to speed up. Do I need just a new RAM, RAM and Processor? It's 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with a 1 GB Memory 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I Mac 5,1

Hi Jim - welcome to the forum - as usual, Lisa has provided a lot of excellent and specific advice; and I'm not one of the hardware gurus here, but that computer is at least 8 years old (this is like having a 20 y/o dog!) - and I'm not sure what the cost would be but (if in the budget?), you probably should consider a new computer - just my 2 cents - :)

Also, I noticed in your MBPro specs that you are running Yosemite w/ 2 GB of RAM - although the minimal suggested by Apple (IIRC), 4 GB or more will likely provide a much better experience on that machine - how is the laptop running w/ the newest OS? Check Every Mac for your model and how much RAM can be added (a cheap but worthwhile consideration - OWC is a popular recommendation for memory here). Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jim - welcome to the forum - as usual, Lisa has provided a lot of excellent and specific advice; and I'm not one of the hardware gurus here, but that computer is at least 8 years old (this is like having a 20 y/o dog!) - and I'm not sure what the cost would be but (if in the budget?), you probably should consider a new computer - just my 2 cents - :)

Also, I noticed in your MBPro specs that you are running Yosemite w/ 2 GB of RAM - although the minimal suggested by Apple (IIRC), 4 GB or more will likely provide a much better experience on that machine - how is the laptop running w/ the newest OS? Check Every Mac for your model and how much RAM can be added (a cheap but worthwhile consideration - OWC is a popular recommendation for memory here). Dave

Thank you for the advice on my old computer! How would I get the most bang for my buck for this old computer? If I do go ahead and sell it, would whoever I sold it to be able to access personal information on this computer?

As to my MacBook Pro, it's super slow and I had made a separate thread for this computer- I plan on upgrading the RAM to at least 4GB of memory- do you think this is a wise decision (cost of $49 or so) "You can put up to 8 GB in the '09 2.26 Ghz MBP. We recommend heading to OWC or Crucial." This was the advice I had received. Do you agree?

Thank you all in advance!

Jim

Last edited:
C

chas_m

You keep on switching interchangeably using the term "this computer" to refer both to your iMac 5,1 from 2006 (still don't know which of the two models -- 17-inch or 20-inch -- it is) and your MacBook Pro. It's super confusing.

As you know, your iMac from 2006 is very, very old. I can't think of any good reason to sink even another penny into it at this point, as it's not worth much. Contrary to what you've been told, the limit on that computer is OS X 10.7.5, which is now unavailable. While 10.7.5 is still supported at the moment, support will likely be dropped next year if not sooner. Couple this with a max 4GB of RAM, and you're looking at a machine that isn't aging well.

You might get $200 for it from some parent that wants it for their kid, or a writer who doesn't need advanced functionality, but I wouldn't invest any money in it. You'd be far better off just replacing it with a newer model of either iMac or Mac mini (if you have a spare monitor, kb and mouse available).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the advice on my old computer! How would I get the most bang for my buck for this old computer? If I do go ahead and sell it, would whoever I sold it to be able to access personal information on this computer?

As to my MacBook Pro, it's super slow and I had made a separate thread for this computer- I plan on upgrading the RAM to at least 4GB of memory- do you think this is a wise decision (cost of $49 or so) "You can put up to 8 GB in the '09 2.26 Ghz MBP. We recommend heading to OWC or Crucial." This was the advice I had received. Do you agree?

Thank you all in advance!

Jim

If you sell the old computer, I would recommend a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall whatever OS version you have for it. That would take care of any personal information. Also if it is connected to your apple id, I would remove that:

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID - Apple Support

As for the MB Pro - with an upgrade to 4GB that would be an excellent start - 8GB is even better. I listed in my previous posts links to OWC for the previous machine but they also have the stuff for your MB Pro. Crucial is good too.

If your budget is limited, a memory upgrade on the '09 MB Pro would give you the most bang for buck. If not and you have a few extra bucks to add, sell both on eBay and purchase a newer model of what ever you like.

Lisa

C

chas_m

If your budget is limited, a memory upgrade on the '09 MB Pro would give you the most bang for buck. If not and you have a few extra bucks to add, sell both on eBay and purchase a newer model of what ever you like.

Lisa

Lisa's suggestion is brilliant. Sell both, and buy yourself a mid-2012 MacBook Pro in good shape and a large external monitor and maybe a spare keyboard and/or trackpad. Now you have the best your previous machines with a good upgradeable device that has all the modern technologies like USB 3 and Thunderbolt (and FireWire 800 if you still need it).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you sell the old computer, I would recommend a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall whatever OS version you have for it. That would take care of any personal information. Also if it is connected to your apple id, I would remove that:

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID - Apple Support

As for the MB Pro - with an upgrade to 4GB that would be an excellent start - 8GB is even better. I listed in my previous posts links to OWC for the previous machine but they also have the stuff for your MB Pro. Crucial is good too.

Lisa

I would love to clean out my old computer(s) but cannot locate the OS Version I had for either my iMac or MacBook Pro. I don't have to buy another disk too, do I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Two options - find the DVD or lash out $20 and buy a copy of OS X.6 from Apple online for $20.00. Best troubleshooter available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two options - find the DVD or lash out $20 and buy a copy of OS X.6 from Apple online for $20.00. Best troubleshooter available.

Yeah harryb is right. That is your only option. Trying to clean out all your stuff and not do a clean install NEVER gets it all.

Lisa

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah harryb is right. That is your only option. Trying to clean out all your stuff and not do a clean install NEVER gets it all.

Lisa

So, I am in the process of cleaning out my iMac. What do I need to do in order to wipe the whole computer clean? I also need to see which OS X is the base CD for my system (10.4 or 10.6?). Not sure which is the CD that came with my system to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either 10.4 or 10.6 will work with your 2006 iMac. harryb recommended 10.6 which I would agree with if you have the original install disc.

Lisa

C

chas_m

1. Boot from Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD you bought.
2. Instead of installing a system, wait for languages question to load and then use the menubar to open Disk Utility rather than proceeding with the install.
3. Use Disk Utility to do a one-pass-zeros wipe of the internal HD.
4. When finished, the computer will reboot. Hold the mouse key/trackpad key down until the disc ejects, and then the computer will just blink a question mark at you. Shut down by holding the power key for four seconds.

Voila. You have a completely clean, no-OS-included computer for someone to buy. You can opt to install the Snow Leopard on it as a clean install if it will help you sell it. The buyer can use that, set up their own account, or install something else on it as they like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.