old mac hard drive plugged into new retina macbook not working

Reaction score
hey all. so a few days ago my 2012 macbook pro main board took a crap on me. i have a lot of stuff on that hard drive and i want to get it onto the new book. anyways i put it into an external harddrive case and hooked it up via usb. light on the case turns on, harddrive feels like it spins but it will not show any files or info on the macbook except for "external disk" in the finder menu. i know the hard drive is good because when i put it into other macbook i have it starts up i just cant get anything done on that one because it only has about 1/4 working screen. is there something im doing wrong to get into the hard drive on my ret model?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could be a defective connector between the hard drive and the carrier's case. Try removing the hard drive from the case and reinstalling it. Make sure the SATA connector inside the case is snug. If that doesn't work, try another external case. To be honest, I don't use external cases, instead I use an adapter kit which always works well.

OP
H
Reaction score
i dont think its the case. i plugged the brand new HD i had into it and could copy stuff onto it but no luck with this one. also when i left click and go into the get info tab for the drive im having problems with it says locked

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the case is OK, and it probably is since you can use the other drive in it, that means the hard drive itself has problems. I don't know how you can try to repair it if it won't show the file system and the drive says it's locked. Data recovery software won't work if it can't see the file system. Hopefully, you have a backup of your data that you can recover from.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Disk Warrior can sometimes "see" a drive that other software does not see. Not something I would hold my breath for by any means. Also not sure it's worth $100.00 US on the off chance it might see the drive.

Even data recovery software is likely to be in the same software range unless you catch a great deal.

Reaction score
did you have security turned on by the way..

mac os x maverick and mountain lion have security features when turned on you cant plug the machines hard drive into a case and recover the files you have to and i hate to say it unlock the drive then copy the files over you have to remove your user account password or the security kicks in and displays nothing it is apples new way of keeping your files safe from theft

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os x maverick and mountain lion have security features when turned on you cant plug the machines hard drive into a case and recover the files you have to and i hate to say it unlock the drive then copy the files over you have to remove your user account password or the security kicks in and displays nothing it is apples new way of keeping your files safe from theft

Which security features are you thinking about? The only thing I can think of that would behave this way is FileVault.. I've transferred files numerous times using cases with no problems. The only caveat was neither drive had FileVault enabled and the User account had the same name/password combo.

OP
H
Reaction score
the only way it would be on is if it comes on by default when you buy it. i didn't touch security

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not on by default so no problem there.

I was basically curious what features johnodd4 was thinking of in his post. I've transferred numerous files using a drive caddy and not had issues unless the drive was failing. Of douse in my case FileVault was off and the user accounts were the same on both drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.