Old Laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple LC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6S
I have a 2010 PowerBook with max RAM with loads of space on HD and just upgraded to the latest OS :(
To give you an idea of how fast it is, no other applications open, I open Photoshop and sit back and watch the pretty wheel spin round and 10 minutes later it decides to open.... hang on... no... wheel spins a bit more and nothing.... bit more spinning then if lucky launched.
Should I smash it with a large hammer or sell it for £5 or upgrade it to a Windows PC ??
To tell truth Apple is really pi**ing me off these days after 25 years of owning one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last PowerBook was released way, way back in 1997.

Just go elsewhere if you are unhappy as you don't know much about Macs.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, got the name wrong, thanks for reminding me. It's a MacBook Pro, told you I've had them a long time.
I'm guessing with your attitude and no sense of humor your American??

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah no ... your an Aussie... Explains even more!! So guess you can't help??

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To tell truth Apple is really pi**ing me off these days after 25 years of owning one.

Why are you upset? It's a 7 year old computer...thus it's bound to have slowness issues. Also...it may have other issues that may be correctable...and maybe speed it up a bit.:) That's if you interested in using it at all.;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Sounds more like a hard disk failing to me. But I'm an American, so what do I know?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That's what I would have suggested as well Jake. Or at least try some HD maintenance.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sounds more like a hard disk failing to me. But I'm an American, so what do I know?

I'd tend to agree and I'm a Canadian so maybe I could help eh??

FWIW: I have a 2007 15" MBPro with an SSD and it works quite well and fast enough for most stuff. It was even fast when I had a WD 7200 Black HDD installed and I've been using macs for 27 years.

And I'm an old senior pensioner hobbling around after some stuff went backwards after some recent hospital surgeries. And sometimes just a miserable old curmudgeon and yes Apple has been p'ing me off a bit the last few years as well.

But at least my Macs and iPad still work.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Look in Activity Monitor and Disk Monitor (Applications > Utilities) which will show what is eating memory. Do some clearing out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Look in Activity Monitor and Disk Monitor (Applications > Utilities) which will show what is eating memory. Do some clearing out.

And even a full Shutdown and maybe one boot using Safe Boot Mode and then a normal Reboot will often purge a lot of surplus junk.

But I'd sure make sure there's a current backup if any user data is important and should be kept.

And I didn't notice any mention as to how full the hard drive is but there should be at least 40-80GB free available space as a minimum.
And not forgetting that Adobe's Photoshop.app can use a lot of resources and tax many a Mac, and are ALL apps slow to launch etc.???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Last PowerBook was released way, way back in 1997.

Just go elsewhere if you are unhappy as you don't know much about Macs.
PowerBook G4, were through 2006, just saying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.