Old iMac won't Boot Up after New hard drive installed

Reaction score
Hi Guys! New to this not sure how this works but...Help! My old 2008/09 iMac (ID: 4.1 Intel Core Duo Speed: 1.83 GHz, 1 processor) Won't boot up. Startup light just keeps flashing. I replaced it's Western Digital "Caviar SE 1600" hard drive with a Toshiba HDWD110 (with a higher speed- 72 rpms?) At first it booted up fine (for several days) However now it doesn't boot up at all, the start light just flashes, My questions: Is there a hardware/software conflict? Or is there a more suitable hard drive I should be using? Thank you for any help you can give me. Respects, JadeMichael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
However now it doesn't boot up at all, the start light just flashes, My questions: Is there a hardware/software conflict?

I'm not sure what you mean by flashing "start light" but you might want to try booting up in safe boot mode.

Press and hold shift key when booting to get safe boot mode to work.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Cross post thread has been removed. Please only post to one forum when posting about the same subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm not sure what you mean by flashing "start light" but you might want to try booting up in safe boot mode.

Press and hold shift key when booting to get safe boot mode to work.

Also try pressing and holding the power button for 10-20 seconds to make sure the Mac is actually Off. Then let it rest for 1-20 seconds and then try booting up normally and/or in Safe Boot Mode.

It may currently be in some type of sleep mode and not waking up.

PS: Thanks Charlie for removing the duplicate posts.

- Patrick
======

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank You Pat for your prompt reply! Yep, did the usual booting shift key, command S thing, I think there's a conflict between my new hard-drive and my OS software. I'm getting it serviced... Thank You for your Help! Respects, JadeMichael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.