Old imac G3 Help! CD-STUCK!

Reaction score
So my tv in my room has blow out... :(

So i thought i could make use of my imac G3 (350MHZ, 512MB) which i had sitting about.

So for some reason it has 10.1 installed on there, i can't remember putting on, but hey its that old :p so it boots up fine, and i get to the desktop, i burn some tv shows to a CD and the mac reads them, drag them to the desktop, try to play them in quicktime, no look (They are AVI)

So i look for an older version of VLC, when i find one, it won't mount.

So i get to the point where i dig out all my old CD's and find panther!

So i restart my mac, and then wait 40 mins, with a spinning wheel, i then get a blue screen, another 40 mins, nothing!

So i think, must be the cd, F12! nothing ejects, restart the mac and hold down then mouse button, does not work!

I can't press an eject button as its slot load? How do i eject!

And when i do eject it, can anyone help me get AVI's to play on 10.1?

All the best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Use a straight pin. On the far right end of the little fabric liner in there, you'll se a tiny hole. Poke the pin in and there'll be a TINY button in there. Click it and be ready to grab that disc with your fingertips. Don't use pliers!

As for software to play video on 10.1? Good darn luck. It's hard to find things even for 10.2 anymore as nobody ever wants to archive older releases. I'd really love to run Panther or Jaguar on my G4, but it's just so hard to get older versions of software nowadays. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Use a straight pin. On the far right end of the little fabric liner in there, you'll see a tiny hole.
I'd really love to run Panther or Jaguar on my G4, but it's just so hard to get older versions of software nowadays. :(

a) thanks for the advice about the pinhole inside the fabric - kudos to you;
b) have you checked Buy/Sell/Trade in Mac-Forums? There's a sticky there now calling older OS version disks. Someone may have Panther to sell/give. If not, advertise Wanted!

Reaction score
I had this problem and I used a credit card to keep the disk from spinning at start up. When the computer recognized the disk wasn't spinning it kicked it out. Theres a chance of scratching up the cd, but it worked. Just an idea...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a) thanks for the advice about the pinhole inside the fabric - kudos to you;
b) have you checked Buy/Sell/Trade in Mac-Forums? There's a sticky there now calling older OS version disks. Someone may have Panther to sell/give. If not, advertise Wanted!

I've got the OS discs... I just don't have software to run on them. All my old stuff got sold by my husband. He took all my software from around 1999 to 2005 and sold it without asking, claiming I'd never need it again.

Then my G3 iMac needed its hard disk replaced :p

And it's not commercial software I need. That stuff can be had fairly easily. It's free stuff that I can't download anymore that I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I've got the OS discs... I just don't have software to run on them. All my old stuff got sold by my husband. He took all my software from around 1999 to 2005 and sold it without asking, claiming I'd never need it again.

Might be time to sell him Jamie-Jamie but you may not get much for that model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OMG! Thank you! They're a little limited in their focus, but they certainly have a decent number of the things I'm looking for! Unfortunately Yahoo likes to block older versions of their messengers to force people to upgrade, even though they don't change their protocol. Jerks.

Might be time to sell him Jamie-Jamie but you may not get much for that model.

I'm guessing I'd get more for my old blue G3 than I would for him ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
After a long long long search, and some help from the community

VLC 4.0 seems to work, playing videos...

Its sometimes choppy, but can't complain!

Here she is playing the IT crowd, she now is in my room, for when i go bed i put some shows on :D

a3fqzc.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.