Okay, I'm listing my very few problems with mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
BlindingLights said:
And there is no way a PC will ever outperform a mac of equivelant price. a 50 dollar dell wouldn't come close to a millionth of a mac.

The situation works the other way, to defeat the performace of a $2000 G5 you would need an $3000 Dell.
But i think i got your point, none of the people i know uses a Mac, so basically this is the only place to discuss about it. At some point those 3 problems bothered me but i came to terms with them. I have some new issues now, for example i wish Finder refresh automatically or at least more frecuently, and also i don't like the idea of having a Trash folder in my memory cards. Little problems, (very) big advantages, in the end is great to have a Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Well that was the thing, I went into this knowing I wouldn't be able to play Rome: Total War, I just realized how much I REALLY love the game though, and it's been tough, but I'm doing it....

Price in the end is not as much an issue... now that I look at it. But, when you look at BASE prices, Macs are WAAAAY higher than Windows Machines (then again those windows machines need to be majorly customized...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
here's what i've been getting.. safari crashes..3 times today..its very very frustrating..
i like my ibook..but this is just sooo frustrating..any help here?

D

djmitch

Concerning the whole price thing, I remember cringing when I ordered my fully-loaded Mini last April (2005) with a price tag of about $1,600 CDN. (BTW, the new Minis kick _ _ _ compared to the original ones!) I'd never used an OS X Mac before and was diving into the 'great unknown', and I would have NEVER spent as much on a Window$ machine.

But now, nearly a year later, I've come to appreciate the great value Macs have to offer. With no viruses, adware/spyware, and firewall intrusions on my machine yet, I don't have to pony up for software to address these issues. Without such programs running in the background, I also enjoy a smooth and surprisingly fast (given the 1.42 GHz processor) computing experience. I've also come to realize that the Window$ equivalents for GarageBand and iMovie would have cost me hundreds of dollars extra.

I've also had no crashes and only one freeze-up (while I was re-booting after an OS X update - nothing was affected/damaged, however), so all in all I'd have to say that I got more bang for my buck than a $2,000+ CDN Window$ machine AND with next to zero maintenance and problems. I believe I'm not going out on a limb by stating that there's not a Window$ system ANYWHERE out there that could make such claims.

K

Kokopelli

sirune said:
here's what i've been getting.. safari crashes..3 times today..its very very frustrating..
i like my ibook..but this is just sooo frustrating..any help here?

I would suggest starting a new thread, you are more likely to get some responses. The first thing I would try is the ubiquitous repair permissions though. After that look in the console log to see if you can spot what is causing the crash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I could have SWORN I saw Rome: Total War at the Apple Store the last time I was there. That's so strange. Must've been somewhere else.

L

lunatec

Once upon a time, the Mac world and the PC (wintel, winamd, etc) were seperate and unique niche's. The Mac was the dominant force in the graphics, and PC's did the number crunching. Now they both do a similar duty, and both do it relatively the same. The preferences on the GUI are the only real difference, availablility of software, and price are the only differences left...especially after vista. Even with Linux, the differences are only cosmetic.

So, why choose one over the other? Depends on your support network and need. I have the rare opportunity to work in a company that has Mac, Sun, and PC. I get to see different machines perform the same tasks over an extended period of time. I have this to say: when compairing cost to investment, the Macs have a higher up-front costs, but will generally outlast the PC's due to tremendous legacy support by the Mac software companies. I have Mac's here as old as 7100's that are still performing their job, albiet slowly.

At home, I have 3 PC's that I built myself (thus making the cost vs investment more on par with the Mac ratio), and a 5250 from the Cetasceus period. The mac, sadly, is nothing more than something for my kids to beat on, and a conversation piece. All the PC's I had at the time when that Mac was born are now deceased and forgotten...but the Mac lives on.

Which one is better? That depends on what your model is, and what your needs at the time are. It's easy to "hate" the Evil Empire, but hate them for the right reasons. Jobs isn't the second comming either. I love PC's and I love Macs, just for different purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
How quickly we forget where the computer industry started. My first PC was an IBM with (2) 5-1/4" floppy drives, no hard drive, 256K of RAM and an 8086 IBM processor clocked at 4.77KHz. With an RGB 13" monitor and Epson FX-100 dot matrix printer the total cost was $4800. It also ran DOS 1.0 that had to be loaded with a floppy disk.

That being said, my iMac, purchased 2 years ago at $1200, has a 500Gig HD and I loaded it with 16Gig of RAM. The 21.5" monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 and displays millions of colors. I'm running Leopard 10.6.8 OSX that never crashes, and has never been attacked by a virus.

I am a photographer using the latest Adobe Photoshop 6.0, OnOne Perfect Photo Suite and a few more Plug-in packages. My desktop publishing is easily handled by Pages software that is easy to use and not part of some elaborate office suite that's constantly upgrading.

I stuck with Windows based machines from 1978 to 2010. I sold all of it, gladly, once I got my iMac & iPad. I would never go back to the "Dark Side". :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How quickly we forget where the computer industry started.

Hey Bob...I understand completely where you're coming from...but also remember you just replied to a 6 year old thread (from 2006).;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I have Windows installed on my Macbook just in case, but I've never actually needed it except to tutor some students who use it. Still, it's nice to have the option, so go for it and put Windows on your Macbook once you get one. Macbooks tend to be a little more expensive than the base model iMac but are worth it for mobility.

I just bought my parents an iMac and yes, it's a bit sad to spend that kind of money on anything all at once. But you really do get your money's worth. I've had my Macbook Pro for 4 years now and it's as fast as the day I got it. I know that after this long with Windows machine it was slowed down to a crawl for no apparent reason. You'd probably spend almost as much getting a new Windows machine every other year or so.

That's why it's neat having Windows on your Mac. It works better on that than on many other computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
Hey Bob...I understand completely where you're coming from...but also remember you just replied to a 6 year old thread (from 2006).;)

- Nick

Wow! I certainly didn't realize that. Thanks. LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow! I certainly didn't realize that. Thanks. LOL

Everything you said was true...just thought you would want to know that most/all of the comments in the thread would only be up to the 2006 perspective. And of course things have changed/evolved since 2006.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.