Oh my God Help. D:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Leopard (10.5) should run you around 129+, and as said Snow Leopard (10.6, which they say wouldn't work on a G5 I think was $29). The Apple guy probably meant Leopard because any OS above and current is not meant for PPCs.

The "Apple guy" meant SL. He was going off the assumption it was an Intel iMac capable of SL and he was referring to the SL box set, which is recommended (but not required) for a jump from Tiger to SL.

Not being picky, but thought I should clear that up because of the OS confusion here and the OP being so new to Macs. :Smirk:

OP
Q
Reaction score
So. I'm pretty darn bummed. I wish I would've asked someone before I bought this computer :'c

Do you know of anywhere I can sell this Mac? Anybody?
It's not like I'm trying to get a lot for it~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Craigslist or eBay. But you're not going to get much for it. Probably not even what you bought it for. Well, maybe you could break even. Maybe.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't even want to break even, really. Cuz I don't wanna cheat someone or sell it for more than it's worth, yknow? Thanks so much for all of your help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mac2Sell says $330.00 if it's a 20" iMac with those specs and $190 if it's a 17".

It's not that bad of a computer. Just too bad it's not a newer Intel iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
Would you consider selling it? (shipping?)

C

chas_m

Let's summarize a few things:

1. A 1.8GHz G5 iMac is actually a very nice little computer, well worth what you paid for it. The only reason it's down in value these days is due to its age and the fact that newer Macs use Intel processors, which gives them additional flexibility and the ability to run newer software.

2. You can find out exactly what size screen you have by measuring it diagonally.

3. If you could find a CHEAP copy of Leopard, you could run most modern software AND keep the machine for a while longer. Check with your local Mac User Group -- there is quite likely to be someone who has upgraded to Snow Leopard who might have a copy they can give or sell you cheap. Be **SURE** to get a **RETAIL** copy of Leopard, not any "gray discs" (those are machine-specific and won't work for your machine).

4. You might also check to see if there are older versions of the software you want to use that works with Tiger (10.4.11). I know there is for Firefox.

5. If you do keep that machine, the only thing I'd say is really worth spending money on is RAM. You should max out the RAM on that machine, which I think is 2GB, and I think you'll find that it actually performs quite well.

Sorry you ended up with something not quite right for you. Hope things turn out okay. Next time you're thinking of buying a computer, check here first! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed again with Chas. If my 2.1Ghz iMac G5 did not have bad caps and also take out the SATA controller chip, I would still be using it with 10.5.8. It did all quite well including some HD videos.

And yes, the 1.8 iMac G5 takes 2 1GB DDR Dimms for 2GB total.

RAM: 512 MB, expandable to 2 GB using PC3200 (400 MHz) DDR SDRAM.

C

chas_m

Forgot to add to my earlier post: I am 100% positive that SNES and NES emulators exist that work perfectly well under OS X Tiger. Check MacUpdate.com for help with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
can pickup leopard on ebay for 80-100 looks like.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Forgot to add to my earlier post: I am 100% positive that SNES and NES emulators exist that work perfectly well under OS X Tiger. Check MacUpdate.com for help with that.

or my earlier post, which already links to them ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.