Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Increase the width of the window.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Move your mouse cursor to the left or right edge of the browser display. It will change into a two headed arrow. Now click and drag the edge of that window to make it wider.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Increase the width of the window.

- Nick
HI NIck Thanks for your reply. Alas it doesn't really achieve what should be the normal display, ie the page is over size - running over the boundaries of the screenwhich is not desirable. I'll see if I can add a screenshot.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 14.09.44.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 14.09.44.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
HI NIck Thanks for your reply. Alas it doesn't really achieve what should be the normal display, ie the page is over size - running over the boundaries of the screenwhich is not desirable. I'll see if I can add a screenshot.....
I've resized the window so that usual web pages (BBC etc) fit properly but when I go to the forum page it's back to the same old issue. If I click on a letter it will take me to appropriate section which has a normal display??!!??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This is the reason I use Spaces for my browser. Web pages are not universal, unlike the web.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgive me Nick, but I don't know what 'window' you are referring to. Can you send a screen shot of what needs adjusting. Thanks

Are you on a computer...or cellphone/iPad? This can make a big difference.

If on computer..."increase the size of the window" (width) refers to the size of the window for your browser.

- Nick

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Are you on a computer...or cellphone/iPad? This can make a big difference.

If on computer..."increase the size of the window" (width) refers to the size of the window for your browser.

- Nick
Hi again

I'm on a laptop - a MacBook Pro.... and it is on Full Screen. This really strange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try reducing the zoom of the particular website. Click on "Safari" in the top bar, then "Settings for this website" and "Page Zoom" and set it to something smaller.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
I know that I'm a pain - please forgive me, but Don't know where to find "Settings for this website" and "Page Zoom"

I'm 76 and perhaps I should have been 'put out to grass' a long time ago....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open Safari, go to the page (Basically, this website). Now click on the top bar where it says "Safari" and a menu will open. One of the options is "Settings for this website" and when you click on that another menu opens with one option being "Page Zoom." When you click on the number you'll have options for other settings in terms of the percentage of what is "normal" for the page.

I'm 75, so you don't get to play the "put out to grass" card here!! :)

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
I know that I'm a pain - please forgive me, but Don't know where to find "Settings for this website" and "Page Zoom"

I'm 76 and perhaps I should have been 'put out to grass' a long time ago....

Open Safari, go to the page (Basically, this website). Now click on the top bar where it says "Safari" and a menu will open. One of the options is "Settings for this website" and when you click on that another menu opens with one option being "Page Zoom." When you click on the number you'll have options for other settings in terms of the percentage of what is "normal" for the page.

I'm 75, so you don't get to play the "put out to grass" card here!! :)

Hi Jake
There really is no option for 'settings for this website'.... I've just checked and I'm on Safari 10.12 - I don't know if perhaps there is an update that I'm missing?

I'm running on MacOS Sierra - yes, I know....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that could be. I'm on 14.0.1. Yours is pretty old. Maybe you might try a different browser that has the functionality to allow you to reduce the zoom. What is in your picture is what shows when the page is opened with an ad blocker. The open space to the left is where a series of ads show, and the column is fixed width. The right column is another fixed width, so the only thing that shrinks/grows is the bit in the middle. When the column gets too small, it collapses the first section to be vertical, as you can see. It still functions, it just look very, very strange. By reducing the zoom, or the font size of the text, the sides will shrink and the center expand so that it can properly display horizontally.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
OK, that could be. I'm on 14.0.1. Yours is pretty old. Maybe you might try a different browser that has the functionality to allow you to reduce the zoom. What is in your picture is what shows when the page is opened with an ad blocker. The open space to the left is where a series of ads show, and the column is fixed width. The right column is another fixed width, so the only thing that shrinks/grows is the bit in the middle. When the column gets too small, it collapses the first section to be vertical, as you can see. It still functions, it just look very, very strange. By reducing the zoom, or the font size of the text, the sides will shrink and the center expand so that it can properly display horizontally.

Yes, I think that has cracked it! On Brave, (hidden away!) there is an option to alter the zoom. It ain't perfect (what is?), but the display now is more or less as it was in days gone by. (Not really that many days ago... but there you are) I think that I will cope. Many thanks. Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that sorted it out for you. There may be a setting somewhere in the Safari you have to do the same thing, I just don't recall where or how it was done.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Mitch...and thanks Jake for helping.

I was just going to suggest the same thing Jake mentioned (try a different browser)...but since you got things fixed with Brave...sounds good.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you were using Safari...the zoom setting for a specific website can be found here:

* First make sure you're already at Mac-Forums in Safari.
* Go to Safari drop down menu.
* Then select "Settings for this Website".

A small window will open & you'll see "Page Zoom"...with a zoom % next to it. Hover over the percent value & click on it...then a list of zoom percents to choose from will appear. Select a zoom amount (probably something lower).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. These are the same instructions Jake mentioned up in post #10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, he says it's not in the menu for his version of Safari. He's on Sierra, so pretty far back. I don't think I have a Sierra system I can explore for him. The good news is Brave sorted it out for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.