Now that photoshop CS3 is out, is 1GB RAM enough?

Reaction score
Photoshop CS3 is out and is an universal binary. Is 1GB RAM enough for running CS3 smoothly(files of about 100MB) and Maya at an acceptable speed on a Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I run CS (1) on my MBP Core Duo with 1.5GB ram without any problem. I realize that doesn't directly answer your question, just trying to throw an option out there for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
Max out your RAM

I can't speak for Macbook Pros but I went from a dual-core 3ghz PC notebook with 2gb RAM, 120gb internal drive and four external drives to a MacPro because the notebook couldn't keep up with Photoshop CS2 or CS3 Beta. My MacPro has 5gb RAM and four internal drives running CS3 and I'm pleased with performance.

I have Photoshop set to take 80% of RAM and it takes needs it to reduce (not eliminate) scratch drive activities. Photoshop CS3 is a very RAM intensive program. You can run it on a notebook but you want to max out the RAM and perhaps use external drives to provide scratch space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.