notification center has me baffled

J

jogdial

I really don't understand notification center.

I don't, in general want notifications. They are a disruptions to me doing work.

So I go to notification center, move all the apps out of notification center so they are in Not in notification center. Still get notifications... so I guess chagine the alert style to none will stop it... however *** does moving them out of notification center actually do then? Nothing? What is the point of it, why this two step process. I've worked on PCs for like 30 years, since they came out and started on Macs about 3 yrs ago - being led to believe they were so much more intuitive and easy to use... well, that is a lot of bunk these days... it isn't intuitive, I constantly have to google how to do things - I like that fact that I can get down to the shell on the mac and do things anyway as I've worked in Linux and Solaris OSs for the last 20 years as well... but the Mac OSX interface, if I didn't have google, I'd be lost.

So anyway, what does moving things out of the notification centre do? if you don't set the alert style to none, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Don't know what Version or machine you have, but you might try settings -> Notifications and turn them off or do not disturb.

OP
M

MacInWin

Not sure what "I go to notification center..." means. To remove apps from notifying you, you open System Preferences/Notifications and then remove the apps there. You didn't say what version of OS X you are using, but that is how it works in Yosemite, and I think it worked the same way in Mavericks. If what you did was to open Notifications on the desktop, all you removed were the current and aged notifications you've received, not removing the applications from the notifications list.

90% of the time, maybe more, you make behavioral changes in System Preferences, or in the application Preferences pane, not on the desktop.

As for the rest, no system is "intuitive" if you don't take the time to learn how it works. Macs have NEVER been "intuitive," IMHO. I remember my first exposure to the early Apple machines where you had a blank screen, an apple icon in the top corner, a bar with nothing on it and a mouse with one button. I tried to get something going, clicking everywhere on the screen, got nada, zilch, nothing. Walked away and didn't try again for 20 years. Now I understand better how Apple thinks and could probably make that system work, but it does take learning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.