Notes doesn't work through proxy

Reaction score
I can use Notes when I'm on a network without a proxy but I can't use it at work where the network requires the use of a proxy to get to the outside world.

Reminders, however, works fine with or without a proxy. I'm wondering whether this is a bug or if there's some setting that I don't have right.

I use Notes through the browser as a workaround but would definitely prefer to use the App if possible.

Configuration: December 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 15 running Yosemite.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm guessing here... but it may have to do with the account(s) you have setup for Notes. Proxies can be fairly restrictive. Sounds like you may be running up against local policy where you work.

OP
Reaction score
I spent about an hour with Apple Support this morning on this problem and found that I can't get Apple Mail to work either, iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. It picks port 993 (or something like that) and the port is open as Thunderbird uses the same port.

Apple Support sent me a packet diagnostic tool to sniff my network activity during the Notes session and have attached it to a bug so it should get diagnosed at some point. In the meantime, I'll use the Web App.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.