Notebook protective casings/bags/sleeves thread

Reaction score
One more "college student" question: Backpack

I know all of these things I'm asking have been discussed, but it's nice to get "personalized" responses.

I'm probably going to get one of those Gelaskin covers (with the cool designs) and possibly a BookShell.

But now I'll need a backpack. The current backpack I have fits everything but it's gigantic (it's the XPS backpack).

I want something sleek and "small" (relatively speaking) that can fit my MBP and some folders and a couple textbooks.

I'd also like to be able to fit the power cord (when I get lucky enough to sit near an outlet).

I was thinking about http://axio-usa.com/downloads/courier.pdf but I'm not sure if that's big enough. I'd prefer a bag like that, but I have no problems with backpacks either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Get the Axio Fuse 06. I've got it and it's the best! Great protection (lots of padding) and good quality. It's a lil big tho. Try Googling for reviews etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Tom Bihn has been known to create real high quality bags. They do come at a price though but everyone I've talked to that has one says when you get it in the mail you know that your money was well spent. The Buzz looks like it would suit your needs if you like the sling design. I almost bought this bag but realized that I need more space than it offers.

Reaction score
oh yeah for sure, its a good sized bag, with alot of compartments. For sure you could fit few textbooks in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Apparently it's the Neoprene Sleeves... :( Black, burgundy, red, etc..

I purchased the iSkin SOHO, it should arrive tomorrow, at which point I'll most my opinion on it.

slip-in.jpg
Be like RIDE and get the SOHO... then you can win t3h iNtErNeTZ like this d00d:

attachment.php

TWM

Reaction score
What about heat issues? it seems like being rubberized, that it would insulate heat, and with no vents, it might get to hot. anyone have any experience with this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G
I'll be getting my MacBook Pro next week I hope! haha. I hope it comes with stickers =P

Remember to call Apple if you don't have iLife'08 installed. My MBP shipped from the factory today and I asked them if I would have iLife'08 installed. They said yes, but if iLife'06 had been installed a free upgrade would be available to me :)

I just have to work out if I want iWork now ... hmmm

jez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation
What about heat issues? it seems like being rubberized, that it would insulate heat, and with no vents, it might get to hot. anyone have any experience with this??

That's actually a pretty good question... I'll have to have a little poke around the net and see what I can find out about them. Maybe it's just a "rubberized" look? Not actual rubber?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Remember to call Apple if you don't have iLife'08 installed. My MBP shipped from the factory today and I asked them if I would have iLife'08 installed. They said yes, but if iLife'06 had been installed a free upgrade would be available to me :)

I just have to work out if I want iWork now ... hmmm

jez

Just got iLife '08 last night, it's pretty sick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
im going to get the hard shell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I bought the Bookshell from Macessity since the clear shells for the Techshell were/are sold out. The Bookshell is pretty sweet and only has one little logo on the shell that, when placed properly, can be seen right underneath the Apple logo. It's a lot cleaner than the Speck shell, and I don't want to risk getting too many scratches like the Speck shell apparently gives many Macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I bought a sleeve from Isis Covers. It's made out of memory foam, which feels soft and cuddly, and has great shock protection. It's also the perfect fit. Very snug, and I even have a plastic shell on my Macbook.

As for the case, I just bought one from some local store here (can't remember much about it). The sleeve fits in the case nicely and also fits in my backpack.

Right now I'm going to be putting the sleeve into my backpack whenever I need it for school. Secure (since people are less likely to suspect I have a laptop in there), and allows me to add textbooks and whatever else I need.

Reaction score
home-made case

So, I have a brand-new MacBook for college and need a sleeve to protect it when it's in my backpack. However, I haven't found anything I like on the market, and I much prefer making these things myself. My current plan involves an old Trapper Keeper, duct tape, and a lot of squishy yellow foam.

My questions:
Will standard, squishy yellow foam stain my (white) MacBook?
Is static going to be a problem? Even if I only use the case when the MacBook is turned off?
Is there another kind of foam which would avoid these problems?

I definitely don't want to do anything to damage my computer. I've found a few people who have posted online about making their own cases, but I've never seen any which use foam for a MacBook case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It looks like it's just a rubberized look, though the word rubberized in the title is very misleading if it isn't rubber. Notice all the spec for all their shells say "high quality polycarb".

I thought the carbon fiber would be cool too, but I think it's just a carbon fiber look instead of the real deal.

If you want a black one, go for the speck case. Those techshells are too expensive for a couple pieces of plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
Why not buy it? there are a few nice options:

-Tucano
-Marware
-Timbuk2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.