Not sure how this even happened but how do I undo it?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been working at a production house for about four months where we have a Mac Mini which serves as our editing machine, which I work on daily. The last editor's name was Tommy and this computer was his before mine, so therefore it's named "Tommy's Machine". Well, last night I was on my iPhone and I was scrolling through some open windows in Safari when I noticed at the bottom of all of the windows, a line of separation and the small icon of a cloud, with the words "Tommy's Machine" next to it.

I'm a little confused because I have never plugged in my iPhone, synced, or paired it with this computer physically. Furthermore, I do not use iCloud and I've never logged in with the information which would lead me to be in "Tommy's Machine" account. So I'm wondering how it was able to grab my phone and I'm also wondering if now all of my information can now be accessed using the Mac Mini at work...

Mainly, I just want my phone to have it's glorious name back of, "Sagittariut Jefferspin", not "Tommy's Machine". :)

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Mac Mini is likely running Yosemite and your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS and thus Continuity is in full effect and that's what you are seeing..

OP
R
Reaction score
The Mac Mini is likely running Yosemite and your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS and thus Continuity is in full effect and that's what you are seeing..

Ah, I never knew! That doesn't necessarily bother me as long at it's not sharing personal information like passwords, usernames, and bank account info.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ah, I never knew! That doesn't necessarily bother me as long at it's not sharing personal information like passwords, usernames, and bank account info.

Nope, this usually happens when the two devices share the same Apple ID, that's the hook. My rMBP and iPhone do the same. So if I'm in Safari or Messages on the iPhone, a new app appears ALL the way on the left of the dock indicating that I can pick things up on the rMBP as opposed to continuing on the iPhone. The same works backwards..

Its more of a "hand off" between devices on on going things..phone calls..sites you are browsing and so on..

If you were say signed into one site on the Mac and want to visit the same site on the iPhone, the iPhone browser will take you there but you have to sign in again because that signed in state doesn't get transferred across as far as I know..

OP
R
Reaction score
Nope, this usually happens when the two devices share the same Apple ID, that's the hook. My rMBP and iPhone do the same. So if I'm in Safari or Messages on the iPhone, a new app appears ALL the way on the left of the dock indicating that I can pick things up on the rMBP as opposed to continuing on the iPhone. The same works backwards..

Its more of a "hand off" between devices on on going things..phone calls..sites you are browsing and so on..

If you were say signed into one site on the Mac and want to visit the same site on the iPhone, the iPhone browser will take you there but you have to sign in again because that signed in state doesn't get transferred across as far as I know..
Very cool, so maybe this could be more good than bad for me. I may choose to just pair my texts and calls to the Mac so I can be 'hands free' from the phone when working.

Thanks for all your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.